TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2006 trailblazer front wheels trying to turn to opposite sides.

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2018, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 trailblazer front wheels trying to turn to opposite sides.

I just replaced the inline 6 engine on my 2006 trailblazer. Before I did this the steering worked as it should. When I replaced the engine I did not remove the front axles or even the wheels. I did this by leaving the oil pan where it was. I did have to unbolt the 4x4 accuator to get to the oil pan bolts above it. As it sits, the 4x4 accuator is not butted up to the oil pan because I used the wrong bolts which were too long. I will be fixing this tomorrow. The top 4 transmission bolts are not in, and the crossmember has not been reinstalled. The engine is running great so when I got to this point I wanted to go for a short test drive. The problem I'm having is with the steering. The passenger side wheel will turn all the way to the right but will not come very far back to the left. The driver wheel will turn all the way to the left but when I try to turn back to the right it shifts forward in the wheel well and pushes against the front of said wheel well. Also when the driver side wheel shifts forward, it seems to be sitting very low. But the passenger side stays at its normal height. After turning back and forth, the wheels will be facing opposite directions. When I Jack it up, and there is no weight on the wheels, they turn back and forth just fine. I've looked at the tierods and ball joints and everything else around that area. Nothing seems to be broken or disconnected. I'm thinking I forgot to reconnect something that I don't remember unbolting. Any ideas of what might be causing this.

thanks in advance.
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossmember

just an update from my original post. I crawled under the front of the trailblazer while my wife turned the wheels back and forth so I could watch what was happening. there are 4 large bolts in the crossmember I hadn't reinstalled yet and those bolts hold in the rear of the lower control arm. reinstalled the crossmember and the problem was gone.
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Meadimusprime
just an update from my original post. I crawled under the front of the trailblazer while my wife turned the wheels back and forth so I could watch what was happening. there are 4 large bolts in the crossmember I hadn't reinstalled yet and those bolts hold in the rear of the lower control arm. reinstalled the crossmember and the problem was gone.
You just had a "senior moment". lol . You wont be the first person who has made a mistake in car repair.