TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2008 Trailblazer - Can a faulty stereo cause intermittent A/C problems??

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2018, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Trailblazer - Can a faulty stereo cause intermittent A/C problems??

Hi. My A/C has been intermittent for 8 weeks now, but yesterday it stopped blowing cold until I disconnected the battery. Also, the radio has also been intermittently playing out of just one speaker then back to normal (mostly just one speaker, though), but that's been the case for a year or more. However, the display went dim yesterday, too dim to see the clock or station. Can one problem cause the other? I disconnected the battery for a couple of hours then reconnected and the radio display went back to normal and the A/C came back on. I'm a little worried about driving it with the radio removed because a guy told me 'everything is run through those radios' (he then quoted me $500 to replace the radio, special 'module' and all). This is a little over my head :\

Thank you for any help you can give!
Old June 5th, 2018, 3:17 PM
CF Active Member

The answer is no , the ac issue would not be caused by the radio. When the mechanic said everything runs thru the radio what he meant was all the alarms like for warning lights on the dashboard run thru the driver side speaker so if you have no radio you would never get any audible warning alarms. The radio issue is the speakers themselves , GM used cheap $10 speakers in these vehicles and eventually you will need to replace them. I have a 2008 and I have replaced all 4 in mine with Pioneers and have never had another issue . As far as the dimness is it possible you had the dash lights turned all the way down and then drove thru a darker area where the auto headlights would shut off the display if it was turned all the way down? When you pulled the battery when you hook it back up its possible the hvac modules went thru a reset and are now working. Also make sure your battery is up to snuff too .

Last edited by vipergg22; June 5th, 2018 at 3:27 PM.
Old June 6th, 2018, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

vipergg22, thank you! You've hit all my nails on the head. I kinda didn't check the dimmer control first oops. I'll follow up on the AC module and battery, too. Again, I can't thank you enough for clearing this up!!