TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

A/C intermittently cooling

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2019, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C intermittently cooling

I have a 2002 Trailblazer and all of a sudden the A/C will stop blowing cool air. The blower is still on in the front and the back but no cool air. This is while I am driving and it is still hot in the car. I live in Texas so you know it is hot here and I need my AC.
I do not get any codes when this happens and I do not hear any noises or clicks when this happens. If I leave it off for awhile it may start working but will eventually stop working again. What could this be, short on Freon or is this something else?
Old May 31st, 2019, 7:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jdfiegel
I have a 2002 Trailblazer and all of a sudden the A/C will stop blowing cool air. The blower is still on in the front and the back but no cool air. This is while I am driving and it is still hot in the car. I live in Texas so you know it is hot here and I need my AC.
I do not get any codes when this happens and I do not hear any noises or clicks when this happens. If I leave it off for awhile it may start working but will eventually stop working again. What could this be, short on Freon or is this something else?
Could easily be low on R-134A Freon. You need to put a gauge set on it to find out. Always wear eye protection and gloves when working with A/C pressures.
Old June 1st, 2019, 1:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Equinox but I've experienced something similar a couple of my vehicles.

In one, the electric fan that pulls air over the condenser under the hood had brushes that were worn to a nub and they could no longer make contact.

In the other, the electric fan was seized up.

This causes the refrigerant to not be able to condense back to a liquid,

In my case, when I drove at highway speed, it would start cooling just slightly because of the increased air flow over the condenser..
Old July 9th, 2019, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was low on Freon but the issue ended up being the low pressure port valve core was leaking. Tried tightening but still was leaking. replaced it and charged back up and all good.

Thanks for all your help.
Old July 12th, 2019, 8:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jdfiegel
It was low on Freon but the issue ended up being the low pressure port valve core was leaking. Tried tightening but still was leaking. replaced it and charged back up and all good.

Thanks for all your help.
I am very glad that you solved your issue!