TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2008, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key won't turn

Help please! I have an ignition switch stuck in the locked position. The steering wheel moves freely and the vehicle is in park. I have plenty of juice in the battery if there might be an electrical bug. I was told I might have to adjust the shift linkage. help me get back on the road before I yank all of my hair out!
Old October 20th, 2008, 6:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: key won't turn

I'm gonna say you need a new ignition switch. See if you can remove the ignition switch.
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Subject:
Ignition Key Will Not Remove From Ignition Lock Cylinder (Reposition Shifter Boot)
[align=left]

Models:
2004-2007 Buick Rainier[/align][align=left]

2002-2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models[/align][align=left]

2002-2008 GMC Envoy Models[/align][align=left]

2003-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada[/align]

[hr]

This bulletin is being revised to include the 2008 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-07-30-021A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).
[hr]

Condition
Some customers may comment that they are unable to remove the ignition key from the ignition cylinder.
Cause
The shifter boot may be caught/trapped in the shifter assembly mechanism.
Correction

DO THIS

DON'T DO THIS

Reposition the shifter boot.

DO NOT replace the complete shifter assembly.
ONLY replace the shifter boot if damaged.
[ol]Inspect the shifter boot for being caught/trapped in the shifter assembly. [align=left]

If the shifter boot is NOT caught/trapped in the shift assembly, refer to Ignition Key Cannot Be Removed from the Ignition Lock Cylinder in SI.[/align][align=left]

If the shifter boot IS caught/trapped in the shifter assembly, continue with the next step.[/align]Important: [align=left]

DO NOT replace the complete shifter assembly for this condition.[/align][align=left]

ONLY replace the shifter boot/handle if damaged by shifter assembly.[/align]

Reposition the shifter boot so that it is not caught/trapped in the shifter assembly. [/ol]
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Thats one possible solution but I fear it'll be as brent has stated, the tumblers in the key switch have screwed up.It could also be a bad ignition switch, or the gears between the switch and the key cylinder.
unfortunately in order to check any of that stuff, you must first remove the key cylinder, and in oder to do that, you have to turn the switch to the run position so you may end up drilling out the tumblers. I'll post instructions on how to take it all apart below
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

Removal Procedure
[ol]Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.
Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
Remove the hush and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement .
With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.

Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.
Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.
Disconnect the passlock and key buzzer from the lock cylinder housing.

Insert J-42759 into the lock cylinder housing to release the tabs on the ignition switch.
Pull the ignition switch out of the lock cylinder housing.
Disconnect the connector from the ignition switch. [/ol]
Installation Procedure
[ol]

Important:The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.
Verify the alignment of the gear(1) in the ignition switch(2). If gear(1) is not in position shown, turn gear in ignition switch(2) until you reach the correct position.

Important:In order to reach a stop while rotating the lock cylinder housing gear you MUST push and hold in the solenoid on the electric park lock.
Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear counterclockwise until it hits a stop.
Connect the connector to the ignition switch.

Insert the ignition switch into the lock cylinder housing. The tabs(2) on the ignition switch MUST be seated inside the lock cylinder housing(1) for proper installation.

Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the START position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.

Align the lock cylinder and install the lock cylinder into the lock cylinder housing.
Connect the passlock and key buzzer into the lock housing.
Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement .
Install the hush and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.[/ol]
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default gmc 2002 envoy

can a cable gear b adjusted its not broke but i noticed it was loose after i took the consle off.... please help ......jemara
Old May 25th, 2009, 8:36 PM
Banned

Range Selector Lever Cable Adjustment
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=748905&pubCellSyskey=67341&pu bObjSyskey=748905&from=sm&cellId=67341#ss1-748905">Adjustment Procedure
  1. [*]
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Switch won't turn in 2002 Corvette

I too have an ignition switch stuck in the locked position in my 2002 Corvette. The steering wheel moves freely and the vehicle is in park. I have plenty of juice in the battery. What are my options?