TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Oil in spark plug hole, what gasket? Fix?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2011 | 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oil in spark plug hole, what gasket? Fix?

Just bought a 2005 Trailblazer with 68k miles on it. I was replacing the plugs when I pulled the plug second from the back, and noticed the threads were dripping in oil and the electrode was crusted and built up with white residue. It's obviously burning oil in the cylinder. Idle and running is smooth. The oil is not above the threads on the porcelain part at all. If correct I believe that eliminates the valve cover gasket as the culprit. It's only one plug, the others are dry.
I haven't had time to check mileage, but thought I noticed a real light hesitation on full acceleration. What's the correct fix if anyone knows? Looks like this is a common problem with the inline 6.
Old July 19th, 2011 | 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Magnumglide
Just bought a 2005 Trailblazer with 68k miles on it. I was replacing the plugs when I pulled the plug second from the back, and noticed the threads were dripping in oil and the electrode was crusted and built up with white residue. It's obviously burning oil in the cylinder. Idle and running is smooth. The oil is not above the threads on the porcelain part at all. If correct I believe that eliminates the valve cover gasket as the culprit. It's only one plug, the others are dry.
I haven't had time to check mileage, but thought I noticed a real light hesitation on full acceleration. What's the correct fix if anyone knows? Looks like this is a common problem with the inline 6.
i have same problem 2007 trailblazer help?
Old July 21st, 2011 | 1:12 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds like a busted oil ring on that piston to me. But keep in mind, I'm not a mechanic. I suppose it could also be a bad valve guide or seal. What say you mechanics?