TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Please Is there a special tool to drain/fill transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2018, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Is there a special tool to drain/fill transfer case?

?1.Please Is there a special tool to drain/fill transfer case? car is actuelly saab97x 5.3 AWD same as trailblazer.

I was all ready to do my first TC fuild change. Then I watched a video and found out I need a special tool I think 10mm allen on a sockect.

I haven’t crawled under the car yet.
My questin is the sockect extension it being square probably won’t fit correct?

Apparently this tool is mandatory.

I also found out the folks at autozone sold me the crummie TC red fuild, where I should have bit the bullet and bought GM fuild.

?2.what should I do w/ this crummie valvoline it is tack 2?
Thanks for useful advice
Old August 31st, 2018, 10:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by the Brain
?1.Please Is there a special tool to drain/fill transfer case? car is actuelly saab97x 5.3 AWD same as trailblazer.

I was all ready to do my first TC fuild change. Then I watched a video and found out I need a special tool I think 10mm allen on a sockect.

I haven’t crawled under the car yet.
My questin is the sockect extension it being square probably won’t fit correct?

Apparently this tool is mandatory.

I also found out the folks at autozone sold me the crummie TC red fuild, where I should have bit the bullet and bought GM fuild.

?2.what should I do w/ this crummie valvoline it is tack 2?
Thanks for useful advice
If its a New Process/New Venture T/C, it takes a rather large hex wrench to drain and fill your transfer case. I had to buy one to drop my TC fluid but darned if I can recall the size of the hex-wrench. Would have been nice if they had made it the same as the transmission fill and drain plugs at 3/8 inch. Nope had to be different.

I use Royal Purple Synchromax Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid in the T/C and the 5-speed manual stick. Its pretty much like the GM Syncro-fluid, however.
Old August 31st, 2018, 11:31 AM
CF Active Member

I crawled under vehical w/ just the front wheels on rinho ramps.

looks like I need all tires elevated to drain TC Fuild? yes I did observe the giantic allen head twice size of my largest allen wrench.
will add to to buy tool list.
Old August 31st, 2018, 7:41 PM
CF Monarch

I crawled under vehical w/ just the front wheels on rinho ramps.

looks like I need all tires elevated to drain TC Fuild? yes I did observe the giantic allen head twice size of my largest allen wrench.
will add to to buy tool list.
It's up to you if you want to jack it up or have to. My K-1500 is high enough to change the TC and manual transmission on the ground with a creeper. I found the allen wrench. It's a 5/8 inch size. Keep it in my engine bay storage box.(thanks Chevy!) I run a snake magnet on a flexible line into the tranny and the TC drain holes when I change the fluids just to make sure there are no broken parts or shavings.

I use Royal Purple Synchromax Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid in the NVG 241 Transfer Case and the 5-speed NVG 3500 5-speed manual stick. Its pretty much like the GM Syncromesh fluid. Both Red-Line and Royal Purple brands are full synthetics, whereas the GM synchromech fluid is only semi-synthetic.I only use full-sythectics in all motors, transmissions, transfer cases and axles. R-P fluid in my gear box makes it shift as smooth as silk.

​​​​​

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 31st, 2018 at 9:34 PM.
Old September 10th, 2018, 6:06 AM
CF Active Member

thanks oilcanhenry all good tips I actually just bought this car and plan to change all not normally changed fluids including trans.4L60/TC?front/rear diffs.power steering maybe the brakes.

you are correct the tool is 10mm I bought one at home depot allen on a socket $2., when I got home I found the 10mm allen wrench anyway one of the videos I viewed mentioned this tool on a short extension is required for the drain.
he also mentioned to remove the fill first and don't be that Guy who drained and wasn't able to remove fill plug, show's to me like GMs new improved fill plug could be weak or easily stripped, I agree w/ you GM should have a socket extention plug there..

I think I'll use rinhno ramps in the rear and small jack stands under K-memeber trying to keep level when pumping in fuild.

never had AWD car curious what the longevity of the TC is, like it's not like a trans. w/ different gears correct? just one mainset of gears which is much more durable than a trans.?
decided to use the Valvolene

Last edited by the Brain; September 10th, 2018 at 6:19 AM.
Old September 11th, 2018, 5:40 AM
CF Active Member

mission accomplished, I needed the clearance of both ramps and jack stands hope noone ran off w/ jack I got lazy and left it on driveway, now onto rear end. problem the rear diff. cover is completely rusted. it'll probably break when removing luckily I have a OME cover off my TA hopefully it's the same cover.
Old September 11th, 2018, 6:36 AM
CF Monarch

mission accomplished, I needed the clearance of both ramps and jack stands hope noone ran off w/ jack I got lazy and left it on driveway, now onto rear end. problem the rear diff. cover is completely rusted. it'll probably break when removing luckily I have a OME cover off my TA hopefully it's the same cover.
I took a look at the Saab97x. Yeah, no way the trans and transfer case lube could be changed on that SUV, without jacking it up on ramps or some other way.