TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2014 | 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Power Steering Issue

-2002- trailblazer

Almost exactly one year ago we had a leak in our power steering and replaced one of the hoses. A few days ago I turn on the car and I hear a noise and all the fluid leaks all over the ground and the power steering is out. Upon examining the hoses I discovered that the portion of the black hose where it connects to the protruding rod all the way at the bottom of the car is unconnected, which I had previously connected with two hose clamps when we had the original problem. I figured the hose just came loose over time and fixed it back on using three clamps instead of two. It worked for a few days, but this morning I turn it on and the exact problem occurs and the power steering doesn't work.

The key variables are this:
It occurs exactly when I key on the engine.
It seems to happen during extreme cold weather.

Any ideas?
Old January 7th, 2014 | 11:23 AM
CF Monarch

Is this the same hose you replaced last year? Is it the return hose or the pressure hose? If it is the return hose, get a new hose and clean up the fluid real good and install it. Make sure you get power steering rated hose.
Old January 7th, 2014 | 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

The best way I can describe it is this: theres two protruding metal tubes deep down toward the right of the truck. On these tubes, are two connected steering hoses (well supposed to be connected) its the one to the right.
Old January 7th, 2014 | 11:59 PM
CF Monarch

One of the hoses has a fitting on each end and threads into the steering box and into the steering pump. This is the high pressure hose. This hose should not connected with a hose clamp. Too much pressure for the clamp to hold.
Old January 9th, 2014 | 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

It's not that hose. I used a fuel injection clamp instead of a regular clamp. Hopefully this works out.

Thanks for the responses.
Old January 31st, 2014 | 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 04 trailblazer and just replaced my power steering hoses and man that was not a fun job. The power steering system has three lines if the set up is the same in your year. I had replaced both of the high pressure lines that are pre-fitted with rubber hoses onto steel lines. The one line that comes from the cooler to back to the pump does not have to be high pressure. Hopefully that is the one that you are referring to. Otherwise you have to change the others.
Good luck with whatever you do.