TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Power Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2014, 9:48 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering issues

I have '04 trailblazer ext 4wd with the 4.2L with 145000 miles. I had the driver side seal on the rack blow and replaced with a replaced with a rebuilt from auto parts store. I flushed the lines as instructed with the replacement rack but did not replace them as they look in good shape(no corrosion on outside). I had put a new ps pump on only a couple of months prior so it is good. I have drove for about a month now and starting about a week ago if i turned the wheel to the right at a stop or very slow speed i would get a power steering pump "growl" (power steering pump being overworked as if turn hard over to the stop) at a certain spot during the turn. It was only at about halfway turned to the stop is where the spot the noise was made. Now I am getting it even at higher speeds and it is over more of the turn (about 1/4 of the turn). I asked the parts store where i bought the rack (local guys very knowledgeable) and they think i may have a clogged line. If that were the case wouldnt it growl if turned either way? There is only one line set from the pump on the high side so I dont know how a clogged line would affect only turn in one direction. On another post I saw something about a spool valve. Anyone familiar with the rack shed any light on if this is a possibility? It was not a bad job changing the rack, but I would like to know if there is a way I could verify operation of the spool valve before swapping out. I absolutley love this vehicle (drove it new off the lot in '04) but I need a break from the numerous repairs as of late (rebuilt tranny, ps pump, fan clutch, cracked dryer on a/c (i think caused by pressure built up when fan clutch failed), sway bar links and bushing, tie rods, brake caliper, wheel hub/bearing assembly, coil pack all in the last 8 months.) My wife is leaning on me hard to trade in and if i cant get reliability i will have to. This is my first post and sorry if it is long winded lol.

Last edited by Thatoneguy1119; October 1st, 2014 at 9:52 PM.