TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Used Trailblazer what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2011, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Trailblazer what to look for?

My wife is wanting a Trailblazer to replace her mini van. We are looking at a 03-05 age and hoping for one with less than 100,000 miles.

Do they have common problems we need to check for? I know to check for rust in the rear corner panels.

But do they have transmission, motor problems?

It will be used to take the kids to school, grocery's, camping, and maybe a camper. We put about 20,000 miles on her mini van over the last 4 years so if we get a good one this should last us many years.

Edit: What is to high of mileage for the strait 6?

Last edited by warhawk77; October 11th, 2011 at 7:56 PM.
Old October 13th, 2011, 8:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bout the only thing really is gauge clusters act up at times. this happens in most gm vehicles in the 2000's at some point. pay close attention to trans if its over 125k miles. feel how it shifts, when it shifts, if it feels like it slips. also, condition of fluid tho i would not use fluid as only means to determine condition. 4l60e trans have been known to give it up after 140k miles, unless regular maintanence and normal driving were done.
Old October 14th, 2011, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that info.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Have a 2004 with 45K on it and have had no trouble with it at all. Just now replacing it with a new crew 1/2 chev. Like to use up tires in 20K miles. Did just replace the water pump, the bearing went away.
Old December 4th, 2011, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Question chevy transmission

We have always been partial to chevy vehicles. My husband has a silverado,which we have had the transmission worked on twice,assuming it was because we pulled a camper with it . We have a 2002 trailblazer that has had the transmission repaired twice in the last two years and the other day I went in the store with my son,came back out and no reverse,and skipping from first to third on way home. I have been researching this and have found that chevy has been aware of the problem and even sent out bulletins to maintenance departments letting them know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it,using different parts.I am extremely dissappointed seeing how it's a few weeks before Christmas,5 kids and now my vehicle is sitting in the yard because I can't afford to do this again.Thank God I was only 1 mile from home when this happened.I travel rural roads with not even a cell signal on a daily basis to get to and from work.It just seems to me that knowing there was a problem for so long,Chevy would have recalled these transmissions,or parts and cared more about their customers safety.If the parts in these transmissions are good then why aren't they using the same parts to fix them?What has to be done to get Chevy to recall?
Old December 4th, 2011, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default trailblazer

Forgot to mention that if you are buying a newer trailblazer you shouldn't have the transmission problems I have had because Chevy already knows about the problem and is no longer using these parts,but for those of us who got bad ones ,looks like we're stuck.
Old December 5th, 2011, 8:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mom of 5,
I am sorry to hear of the frustration your Trailblazer has caused you. If you would allow, I would like to look into this further. Could you please PM me your full name, phone number, VIN number, mileage and preferred dealer? I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 12th, 2011, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Louis, I sent you a PM with the info you requested. Thanks for your concern.I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
mom of 5