TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Why is my change engine oil light on?

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2018, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my change engine oil light on?

I've owned this car since 2009 and have never seen the change engine oil light come on before (other than while starting), but a week ago the light came on and is still on. I know how to reset it but I would like advise on why this would have come on after 9 years of ownership? And yes, I plan on getting the oil changed soon...
Old March 19th, 2018, 4:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If a shop regularly does your oil changes maybe you always got it in before the light came on and they reset it as part of the change?
Old March 19th, 2018, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the oil life monitor has determined thru your driving habits that it is time to change the oil . It looks at a number of factors such as outside temp , how long a trip is . when was it last done ? If its been 6000 miles then it could come on at anytime specially if you live in a cold weather state . If it's only been say 3000 miles since your last one then whoever changed it last time did not reset the oil life monitor like they should have. That is required at every oil change and why I go thru the reset procedure myself after every oil change then you know it's been reset.