Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

2009 CEL blinking

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2019, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2009 CEL blinking

Have a traverse been noticing not running smooth and MPG has dropped the other day my wife was leaving home going up a hill CEL flashed and went off, I pulled codes and got a P0304. A few months back I replaced Plugs car has 125K on it now, I see alot of people with this but different results. Was going to order new coil packs but is this wasting money is there something else I should be looking at for the cause of this. Seems MPG used to avg on highway about 21 now seems the best I can get is 16mpg Any help would be much appreciated.
Old July 25th, 2019, 1:58 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i would inspect the plug and wire for number 4 cylinder and make sure its all good and has a good connection. if it looks ok i would then run a compression check on all cylinders to compare number 4. if that checks out then maybe swap that plug with another and same with the coil/wire to see if the code follows.
Old July 25th, 2019, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0304

After thinking about it last year when I had an issue it was P0303 and I replaced the plugs and thinking then these are hard to replace on the rear so I moved that coil to the front number 4. Do you think it could be the coil, do the coils have intermittent issues usually or fail all together.

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
i would inspect the plug and wire for number 4 cylinder and make sure its all good and has a good connection. if it looks ok i would then run a compression check on all cylinders to compare number 4. if that checks out then maybe swap that plug with another and same with the coil/wire to see if the code follows.
Old July 26th, 2019, 8:38 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i can see something electronic having an intermittent issue, like if it can handle X amount of load but with a higher demand of a load it might start acting up
Old July 26th, 2019, 1:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Walker45
After thinking about it last year when I had an issue it was P0303 and I replaced the plugs and thinking then these are hard to replace on the rear so I moved that coil to the front number 4. Do you think it could be the coil, do the coils have intermittent issues usually or fail all together.
if the misfire followed the coil; replace the coil...do it pronto. driving a misfiring engine will damage the catalytic convertors.