Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

2009 Traverse oil light

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2019, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Traverse oil light

New here.

Just purchased used 2009 Traverse AWD, 130k.

Two issues.

One, after having the vehicle for 11 days, on first day, misfire at highway speed during acceleration. Found codes for cylinder misfire and PO420. Had original selling dealer replace O2 sensor and plugs. Issue resolved. Power steering went out 2 miles from shop after pick up. Rack replaced, along with power steering pump and ball joints, and had oil changed when oil life display read 49%. Drove vehicle 300+ miles. No issues. Engine so quiet that from inside cabin, you barely know the car is running. Low idle of 600 RPM. Twice past two days low oil pressure light illuminated. Shut off engine, waited a few minutes and no further issue. First time, warning came after driving 10 miles. Second time, after driving 5 miles. Oil level is proper, not a single noise from the engine. No tapping or any noise. In fact, fan is louder than the engine.

Second, check engine light on dash does NOT illuminate, even during initial start up.

Sensor issue with low oil message? ECM issue with check engine light?

Vehicle comes with 1 year power train warranty, luckily.

Suggestions?
Old April 21st, 2019, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

for most regions; to pass a safety the cel must perform a bulb check at key on... it will stay on until the engine is started.
if the oil level is good, the proper viscosity oil and no knocking is occurring...it maybe a faulty oil pressure sensor. they can either replace the sensor or test the actual oil pressure with a master gauge.
have them address both issues and hope they fall under powertrain warranty. powertrain warranty isn't bumper to bumper coverage.
Old April 21st, 2019, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vehicle passed a PA inspection Jan 2019. Good for one year.
There is no need for an emissions test, since this county is not in a zone requiring it.
Since no engine light came on, and codes for misfire and cat emissions were thrown, and the manual states that no engine light means service is required, this seems to me to fall on the dealership. I have been unable to determine if a faulty sensor would raise a code. None referring to a sensor came up 6 days ago. We will be getting a reader from a shop a couple blocks away to run a scan tomorrow.
I am wondering if an engine flush would be a good idea.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

safety check and emission tests are 2 different things. In my area, every car sold from a dealer must have a functioning check engine light. We do not have emission tests.

If the light doesn't do a bulb check...you would never be aware of a system problem without a code reader. The cel is designed to come on when a fault effecting emissions has occurred. A faulty sensor for the powertrain will turn on the cel.
there will be a code set for the oil pressure warning message and warning light. check it with a scan tool.

diagnose the oil light as I have previously posted. oil flush is not required.