Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

2011 Traverse Overheated

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2015, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Traverse Overheated

My 2011 Traverse overheated and required a tow to get it home. I filled the radiator with coolant, but now the vehicle will not start. It has no electrical functions at all. Key is stuck in ignition. Vehicle will not jump start. I have charged battery. Checked all engine compartment fuses. Car will not show any signs of life.

Any suggestions?
Old December 26th, 2015, 3:01 PM
CF Veteran

were you using the jump posts or at the battery itself? You've lost supply voltage somewhere and the battery is the start point
Old December 27th, 2015, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

I checked at both places and also had a battery charger on hand. Battery was showing 13.7 at the posts and also directly off the battery. Hooked the charger up and tried to start car in the hi amp/start position and still unable to get anything to react inside car... no life at all.
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the key is stuck as the interlock solenoid needs to be powered to remove it.

I agree with the previous posts. there is a power problem somewhere and the battery is the first place to start.

shorted batteries can create havoc. jumping or boosting them won't work as they suck all power from a jumper battery or charger. A shorted battery must be removed from the system. have the battery conductance tested or sub in a known good battery. the problem may be elsewhere but the battery must be ruled out before continuing any electrical testing.

the vehicle overheated due to low coolant from a leaking water pump?
Old December 28th, 2015, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

I will try isolating battery, with no power can't remove it (power passenger seat in the way). Believe maybe leaking water pump (very slow leak since I have no signs of coolant in my carport), spouse told me that the day before my problem fans were running for a while after she shut off the vehicle. Amazing how she waited to tell me until after the problem escalates.
Old December 28th, 2015, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Tech2 and Cleveland63b. I removed the cables from the battery and was able to get power from a remote battery through the cables. Was able to at least get sufficient power to move the seat forward and remove the key from the ignition. After I replace the battery I will tackle the leakage problem.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Waterpump leaks are very common on those, depending on your mileage they extended the warranty on them if that's your issue it'd be worth calling your dealer.