Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

2012 LTZ Traverse - Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2017, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 LTZ Traverse - Catalytic Converter

I tend to do much of my own repair work on all of my cars, but when it comes to the cat stuff I get a little nervous.

Check engine light came on, wife had it analyzed, they told her it was "the first bank" converter. I asked her if she managed to get a part # out of them, but she did not.

So now I feel like I am shooting in the dark a little. I am starting to do some research, just wanted to hear from the class.....
Old May 22nd, 2017, 6:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what was the code p0420?
Old May 24th, 2017, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. It was the p0420 code.....

I have continued to investigate.

There are no performance or MPG issues with it in any way, the error showed and it hasn't returned.

I am thinking about taking a wait and see approach for now. If I do anything I will just replace the front and back O2 sensors near that bank and see what happens. Right now I very much doubt there is anything at all wrong with the cat.
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how many miles...cats have a federal mandated warranty that extends past the 3 year 36 000miles bumper to bumper.
the fault sets when the rear cat 02 cross counts are switching to frequently.
if both front and rear 02 sensor voltages are switching normally, and the exhaust system has no air leaks, it needs a cat.