Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Collision, Overheat, P0606/P2101, NO START

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2019, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collision, Overheat, P0606/P2101, NO START

I am new here and need some help!

I have a 2009 Traverse AWD that I am buying from my Sister in law, and it will not start.

Back Story:

About a year ago, my Sis in Law rear ended somebody and damaged the bumper support hard enough to destroy the AC Condenser and the Radiator, eliminating both systems. Her Insurance or Tags or License or something was expired and the car was towed. A few days later, she had her paperwork straight and picked the vehicle up from the yard…..DRIVING IT HOME WITH NO COOLANT WHATSOEVER, A DISTANCE OF ABOUT 7.5 MILES! I am assuming the Traverse would have gone into a Limp Mode or some sort of Overheat Protection Mode. The drive would have ranged around 45-55mph for the first few miles, then 35-45 the next few miles, and then 25mph for the last mile or so. My wife was following her to the house and said that she did not witness any smoke from the vehicle, and I don’t know if my wife would have noticed the car slowing down or losing power just from trailing it due to the slowing speed limits. The Traverse was parked and as far as I know it was never started again. My Sis in Law moved back to New England and left the vehicle parked at her Boyfriend’s house.

Now:

Her [now Ex-] Boyfriend wanted the car out of his yard, so I agreed to have it brought to my house. It will no longer start, so it was brought on a rollback. I have made a deal with the Sis in Law to purchase the Traverse, but would love to know it will run before putting money into it. I put a few gallons of fresh fuel in the tank and charged the dead battery. When the key is moved to the ON position, the fuel pump is not audible, and when the key is moved to START, the engine turns and turns, but will not start. There are no strange noises or anything as the engine turns, just the normal sounds.

Here is what I have tried:
I put about 3 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank. I charged the battery fully and it holds a good charge. I disconnected the battery overnight and touched the leads together (unhooked, obviously) to draw any residual power out of the system. I sprayed some ether into the intake tube, and it didn’t seem to change anything. I checked the plug (X305)under the body near the Driver’s seat, and it is seated and clean. I checked the underhood fuses and they are all intact and swapped relays around to see if one was sticking or bad. I pulled the codes and it had 2 stored codes:
P2101 (Out of Range Throttle Actuator Control)
P0606 (PCM Fault)

I have a hard time thinking that the Overheat condition would cause a PCM to fail, so I am looking for help! Has anybody had any experience with these symptoms?

THANKS! ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay....got it started!!! I was out there the other day to see if any new codes came up while trying to start it (just an emissions code was pending, so I cleared it). I attempted to start it, and I swear it stumbled like it was trying to start. I went out a little later to try again and it did it again. I decided maybe it needs MORE fresh gas, so I put 5 more gallons in (on top of the 3 I already put in) and tried again and let it crank for longer than normal (like 10 seconds). Holy hell, It started! It ran rough for a few moments, and smoked a little bit, but then cleared up and ran smooth. I started it again about 10 minutes later, and then Saturday morning I started it again and drove it to the end of the street and back. It looks like everything is working well! I still need to make the repairs, but at least now I know it runs and it doesn't seem as there is any engine damage!