Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

I can't figure it out, Can you?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2023, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't figure it out, Can you?

Hi .. I've got a strange one for y'all!

1st off here are the things I've checked and replaced if needed, also the check engine light is OFF.

- Replace the solenoid purge valve

- Battery was checked at a shop and is in great working order.

- Alternator is working properly.

- Starter works great.

I've got a 2010 Traverse with about 275,000 Kms on it .. The problem is sometimes after stopping to get groceries, gas, etc. (about 10/30 mins) the vehicle won't start after. It acts as if the battery is dead even though it isn't.

It has been happening for about 3 months now. Also when the vehicle starts up there is absolutely no issues (hesitating, stuttering, etc.)

Here's an example of 2 different situations ..

1) I drove about 20 mins and stopped to get gas .. after filling up (not overfilling) I went to start it and it cranked over sluggishly a few times but didn't catch. Ended up calling a tow truck that had to boost it from inside the vehicle right at the battery terminals because under the hood was not working. Started up right away after that.

2) I drove 10 mins to pick up my son from work then drove home. After getting home I turned off the engine waited a minute or 2 then tried it .. Started up with no problem at all. Went inside for about 10/15 mins then came back out and tried it. It cranked over sluggishly a few times but didn't catch. Ended up leaving it overnight (didn't boost it or charge it at all) and it started fine the next day.

It's as if to me it's not the battery because if the vehicle sits long enough it has no problem starting, but if that's the case then why does it start right up if it is boosted at the battery terminals inside the vehicle?? I'm So confused!!!

I have no idea what's going on. Hoping one of you has experienced something similar .. Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2023, 3:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would start by thoroughly cleaning battery terminals & BOTH ends cables; also get battery load tested
The following users liked this post:
Olschool0097 (February 12th, 2023)
Old February 11th, 2023, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
I would start by thoroughly cleaning battery terminals & BOTH ends cables; also get battery load tested
Thanks for replying .. I did get it load tested and it passed .. terminals under the hood could use a cleaning possibly .. I'll give it whirl
Old February 11th, 2023, 5:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

check engine light on? if yes post codes.

i would check for fuel leakdown. if the injectors leakdown the symptom will be a hard start after a hot soak. try starting in clear flood mode.

if the problem occurs after fuel fill ups...make sure the purge solenoid is sealing. if the purge is open...vapours from the fill up will flow into the intake manifold and cause a flood condition. Try starting in clear flood mode.

you can check the new purge solenoid (not the vent solenoid) yourself....unplug the electrical connector and vapour hose from the solenoid. Start the engine and feel for vacuum where the hose connects...should not feel vacuum. if you do...the purge isn't sealing.
Old February 11th, 2023, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like bad grounding points.

PS - Do I get a prize for my first post? Maybe a dunce cap or something??

Last edited by ThatGMdude; February 11th, 2023 at 11:38 PM. Reason: edit
Old February 12th, 2023, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
check engine light on? if yes post codes.

i would check for fuel leakdown. if the injectors leakdown the symptom will be a hard start after a hot soak. try starting in clear flood mode.

if the problem occurs after fuel fill ups...make sure the purge solenoid is sealing. if the purge is open...vapours from the fill up will flow into the intake manifold and cause a flood condition. Try starting in clear flood mode.

you can check the new purge solenoid (not the vent solenoid) yourself....unplug the electrical connector and vapour hose from the solenoid. Start the engine and feel for vacuum where the hose connects...should not feel vacuum. if you do...the purge isn't sealing.
The check engine light is not on and no codes stored .. thanks for the great suggestions 🍻
Old February 12th, 2023, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ThatGMdude
Sounds like bad grounding points.

PS - Do I get a prize for my first post? Maybe a dunce cap or something??
Lol .. Thanks I'll keep a look out and Congrats 🍻