Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Loss of all engine oil

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2018, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of all engine oil

Hi. I lost my engine oil last night when I moved my vehicle to the driveway to clean off snow. It was 9° last night. I noticed the oil light came on when I started it this morning. I thought it might be due to cold affecting thickness of the oil. I heard the engine ticking as i backed out onto the street. I pulled back in and saw a pool of oil in the snow where I had parked. I checked oil level, and it was empty. Suggestions? Thank you.
Old January 6th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did you shut the engine down before it seized? If yes find the source of the oil leak. Make determinations based on what you find.
Old January 6th, 2018, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by tech2
did you shut the engine down before it seized? If yes find the source of the oil leak. Make determinations based on what you find.
I blew out my oil filter. No more quicky lube places. Oil changed almost 2 weeks ago. They didn't change the oil filter.
Old January 6th, 2018, 4:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob H.
I blew out my oil filter. No more quicky lube places. Oil changed almost 2 weeks ago. They didn't change the oil filter.
Shoulda blown the bypass, but at those temps it didn't. I always change my oil and filter. Will until I am too old to do it myself. I never trust those quicky-lube places.
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

if you need to have this addressed by the court. tow it to a chevy dealer have them document what they find. replace the filter and fill with oil. clean the oil mess and see how it runs. make sure no dtc are setting. have the oil change shop pay for your expenses.

if you can't go back on the quick lube for damages. change the filter add oil and if the engine has no knocks...keep on trucking.
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

here's the thing .
drive up lube shops never check the suspension. the wheels are not lifted, they can't do a proper suspension inspection. this needs to be checked at least once a year. yep, they check your tire air pressure, wipers, lights but if a tie rod, ball joint or wheel bearing is going to fail....you'll never know.