Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

size 18 tires why??????

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2011, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default size 18 tires why??????

Ya know you would think that when you create a vehicle that you would investigate a few things, one being the tire size! Hello there only a few tire makers out there that even make an 18 and gawd forbid that they even have them in stock, reason that they give you....they are to expensive. Oh and then I am told why not buy new rims??? Are you kidding me?!?!?! After the price of the car and the expense of life, that doesnt stop going up, I am supposed to buy rims that would let me have the opportunity to find tires that wont cost me, my first childs college fund. As for the tires that are on it, well didnt that friendship between the two companies work out just fine. A person cant get a brake trying to get some treads for this nice ride, its a joke and to boot its very expensive. Its not fair that other chevy product doesnt have to jump through hoops to find and purchase tires and they even get a good majority of the tires on sale! Hell my husband doesnt have to rob a bank and search to the ends of the world for tires on his Dodge Ram...dang
Old July 22nd, 2011, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

What size tires are you looking for? Any specific brands?..

The reason 18" tires are so expensive is because they are extremely popular. 17"s are considered too basic, everything comes with 17"s nowadays. 19" are way obscure a size, and 20"s look silly on a truck, at least I think so..not to mention the loss of ride quality with a shorter sidewall.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Popular, well i dont know where you are at, but I called everywhere and I went online and was very dissapointed. It seems that Goodyear has the corner market on this size and because they are not a popular size the manufactures are not making them like the other sizes. The other sizes are a buyers market the 18's..nope you have a handful of makers and to boot I was told they dont keep them on hand because they are to expensive and they catn push them like the others. I ended up getting coopers and now I have to return to the tire place and have them rebalanced. When I hit 70 i have a bouncer on one of them. For the price I paid for the set I could have made 2 car payments...very sad... Now I did do some research and it seem to be that 275's are about a perfect match and that opened up the window a bit, but again still not alot out there with great deals like they give on the other tire sizes...
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
CF Active Member

You should have have researched that before getting 18" WHEELS. The Base has 17" and there is an Option for 20" WHEELS.

17" WHEELS are your best bet for a good price on a tire that is not a 15" or less WHEEL size. 16" on my Suburban are hard to find also, the reason I run Wranglers cause that is what has been in stock. Everyone makes an 18" just not in your exact size.

There are several listed on TireRack.com under $200 each.
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pricy..yea, hard to get...?

275/35-18<O</O
275/40-18<O</O
275/45-18<O</O
275/55-18<O</O
275/60-18<O</O
275/65-18<O</O
275/70-18<O</O
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Well first off let me say... the traverse came with them. Now if you would like to donate a set of 17" I would be more then happy to take them off your hands. I looked into a different size then the OEM and I can go up to the 275's, which I intend to do on the next go around. I put some coopers on it and not to thrilled, thanks to the weather I am not haveing to deal with snow. SO MR SLW210 my black beauty came with these wonderful 18inch rims, I can deal with it. I am looking into some chrome rims thou...hmmm...how much do ya lover your traverse...mine is slammin Just now and then ya need some feed back or suggestions
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Boy, do I feel like a Dinasaur. Tires are 14 inch (small car) or 15 inch (big car). 3/4 ton trucks hve 16 inch, right? I just bought a 2012 Traverse and it came with 18 inch tires, I believe as part of the 2LT package. I did not have the opportunity too change, without big bucks. I did purchase a road hazard coverage for both tires and rims. Maybe it was a good idea.
Old January 9th, 2012, 1:39 PM
Super Moderator

HA, dinasaur... I know the feeling !
But Insurance is like a two stroke engine,
Cost is the downstroke, but, the up side is
it sure makes you feel better.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

be glad you got the 18" wheels. i got 20" and the ride sucks you hit a bump and it jars all the way up to my teeth. but i hear what your saying its hard to find a good tire for less than your arm and leg! not to say that 90%of tires that size ar lt and dont ride worth a hill of beans but hey thats just my $0.02
Old September 8th, 2012, 9:42 AM
Super Moderator

They've done some very innovative things with suspension in the recent years, but, anytime you shorten the height of the Sidewall, you do pay for it in the softness of the ride.

That, and an increased probability of road hazard damage, might give one second thoughts about Low Profile.

Quick Reply: size 18 tires why??????