Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Stabilitrack/ Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2019, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with 155k miles.

Purchased this pickup at 108k miles in 2015 and this problem has been happening every summer since. It has never happened in the winter.

I have a random issue with the 4x4, Stabilitrak, and Traction Control message coming up and causes a Reduced Power message to come up. While driving slow in town, the pickup will die when turning corners if I do not rev the engine up while turning.

This light comes on only during the summer months when it gets 85 degrees or hotter outside. No issues from November through April for the last 4 years of owning this pickup.
I cannot make the problem happen when I want it to at a dealership or when I am near a place that can run a free diagnostic.

It has happened when: using steering wheel controls to adjust volume on radio; holding the brakes for longer than 5 minutes while talking to a neighbor that I meet on the country road; tilting the steering wheel back down; driving normal at 65 mph down the highway and not using the A/C, radio, cruise control, any steering wheel controls, brakes, or 12 volt outlets.
I can make the message go away by pulling over on the side of the road and shutting the vehicle off for at least one minute, as long as I open the driver door during that time.
Once I start the pickup again, I can drive for minutes or I can drive for multiple days before it comes up again.

I am guessing it is an electrical somewhere and no one will ever be able to find the issue.

Unrelated problems: My A/C and heater digital display quit working intermittently and then for good over the course from 120k miles to 135k miles. The heater blower motor was replaced at 145k miles. All spark plugs and spark plug wires were replaced at 140k miles. The brake light switch on the brake pedal was replaced at 120k miles and again at 125k miles. I once wiggled the main large wire harness under the steering column to make the issue go away for a week during a span that it was coming on every time I drove the pickup.

Chevy and GM obviously have not been able to find the issue causing these dash error messages as the problems are complained about all over the internet with many models and years of vehicles from GM/Chevy. Is there any way to find the issue without having to spend thousands of dollars? Why does it only happen in the summer? (I live in Nebraska with cold winters and hot summers).
Old July 11th, 2019, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2011 Traverse and had the same issue. Turned out to be the throttle body. GM repaired it under a service order as it is a common occurrence.
The following users liked this post:
TwinsRRUs (July 11th, 2019)
Old July 22nd, 2019, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coachjeff1
I had a 2011 Traverse and had the same issue. Turned out to be the throttle body. GM repaired it under a service order as it is a common occurrence.
We had a brand new throttle body just installed and that did nothing to fix the problem. For the longest time it wouldn’t even turn over but then all of a sudden it just worked and had no codes. I am down to the point it’s a voltage problem on the second ignition voltage indicator but is there a way to tell if it’s the ignition housing or the fuse box that’s having the poor connection?
TwinsRRUs (July 22nd, 2019)
Old August 1st, 2019, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2012 Chevrolet Traverse with Service Traction Control and Service Stabilitrak with the "Ding ding ding" and the flashing check engine light. the only difference in all of my research comparing it to my problem is i do not get a code saying "reduced engine power". I cleaned the throttle body last night after watch about 100 YouTube videos swearing that this would fix it and it does NOT. I am taking it to the mechanic today to see if it will read the codes. ill touch base again when i get back. if anyone has any thoughts please reply back on what you have done to fix yours or if you think i should try a different route. i am using a local mechanic first for a diagnostic before i take it to a dealership and get raped.

FYSA: i was also in a front end collision about one month ago and although the problem didn't occur immediately after picking the car up i am beginning to wonder if something might have become damaged either during the wreck or the repair.

thanks!

Last edited by Jason Andrews; August 1st, 2019 at 1:32 PM.
TwinsRRUs (August 2nd, 2019)
Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Andrews
2012 Chevrolet Traverse with Service Traction Control and Service Stabilitrak with the "Ding ding ding" and the flashing check engine light. the only difference in all of my research comparing it to my problem is i do not get a code saying "reduced engine power". I cleaned the throttle body last night after watch about 100 YouTube videos swearing that this would fix it and it does NOT. I am taking it to the mechanic today to see if it will read the codes. ill touch base again when i get back. if anyone has any thoughts please reply back on what you have done to fix yours or if you think i should try a different route. i am using a local mechanic first for a diagnostic before i take it to a dealership and get raped.

FYSA: i was also in a front end collision about one month ago and although the problem didn't occur immediately after picking the car up i am beginning to wonder if something might have become damaged either during the wreck or the repair.

thanks!
A couple of years ago I drove my silverado to an O'reillys while it was still running with the error messages up on the dash.

I don't remember the exact codes, but was something like p305 or something. I believe it was a misfire. I ended up changing my spark plugs and wires a year later (one of the tips was in very bad shape on a spark plug I removed), but the error messages still happened randomly while driving until the weather got cold. This led me to believe that specific code had nothing to do with the 4x4, Stabilitrak, Traction Control, Reduced Power messages. I have yet to stop and have the codes read again.

Sucks having to pull over on the side of the road and shut the vehicle off for 60 seconds to reset it and go on my way for days before it happens again.

One thing I read was that it could be an electrical issue (duh) and the ambient temperature sensor or wiring could be bad. One person changed all the wiring harnesses and still had the issue.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a cylinder 2 misfire. Replaced ignition coil and spark plug with recommended parts. we shall see how long it lasts.
TwinsRRUs (August 7th, 2019)