Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Timing chain not lining up on Cam Phaser 3.6 VVT

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2023, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain not lining up on Cam Phaser 3.6 VVT

2012 Chevy Traverse - 3.6 VVT High Feature/Interference engine

So, this is the second time in a year I've been in this engine to replace the timing chain, but that's what the mechanic swears is wrong with it (misfires like crazy still after brand new plugs and coils). I'm just not seeing the obvious signs of damage/wear like I did the first time, but one thing is bugging me. When I put the last chain on (secondary, right side), the colored link is just off from the tooth of the Exhaust cam phaser. I can rotate the phaser clockwise slightly, and line up the chain. As soon as I let loose of the wrench, it slips and the phaser returns to where it was (I'm assuming some type of tensioner inside). I was able to hold the chain in place until I installed the rest of the hardware, so I called it good. This time around, I'm second guessing...is that abnormal? Could it be contributing to my problems? I'm afraid to put this back together again just to need to pull it right back apart because I didn't fix the problem. Anyone run into this before? Am I just overthinking this? Thanks for any help

Old April 25th, 2023, 9:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

You replace the chain tensioners?
Old April 26th, 2023, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Both times. First time I replaced everything with the Cloyes VVT kit so new cam phasers, new chains, new tensioners, new gears, new gaskets. This time, I just did the AC Delco kit with chain and tensioners. And to be clear, once I hold the chain in place, and install the guides and tensioners to prevent the chain from moving, the sprocket stays put. But I know that the chain is preventing the sprocket from snapping back to where it wants to, and I can't help but wonder if that adjustment is somehow throwing off the timing once the engine is running. Buy I don't know enough about that to say for sure.
Old April 28th, 2023, 12:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by THIS
Both times. First time I replaced everything with the Cloyes VVT kit so new cam phasers, new chains, new tensioners, new gears, new gaskets. This time, I just did the AC Delco kit with chain and tensioners. And to be clear, once I hold the chain in place, and install the guides and tensioners to prevent the chain from moving, the sprocket stays put. But I know that the chain is preventing the sprocket from snapping back to where it wants to, and I can't help but wonder if that adjustment is somehow throwing off the timing once the engine is running. Buy I don't know enough about that to say for sure.
I admire you choice in Cloyes Timing Chains, They are the best chains ever made. Your motor is running good or not so?
Old July 10th, 2023, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Similar issue.

Originally Posted by THIS
I am having the same issue with the right bank of an 06 Cadillac SRX. I have to take a wrench on both cams on the right side and adjust/hold the right to the right and the left to the left to get the marks to line up. If it slips off the chain jumps like crazy. This is the second set of chains in 4k miles I'm trying to put one & can't help but think this is causing the issue. I'm using Melling chain complete kit w/ Melling oil pump & water pump. Did you ever get an answer to your problem?