Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

2020 Traverse Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2020, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2020 Traverse Paint Issues

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone else had concerns about weaknesses in the 2020 Traverse paint job? I have had this vehicle since Feb 2020 and I already have more paint chips than I did with my Silverado that I owned for 8 yrs. Along with a couple of small orange spots on the back hatch that look a lot like rust.
This is the 5th Chevy I've owned, but never had anything like this before. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?
Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
sean75 (July 1st, 2021)
Old July 1st, 2021, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by prestonau
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone else had concerns about weaknesses in the 2020 Traverse paint job? I have had this vehicle since Feb 2020 and I already have more paint chips than I did with my Silverado that I owned for 8 yrs. Along with a couple of small orange spots on the back hatch that look a lot like rust.
This is the 5th Chevy I've owned, but never had anything like this before. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?
Thank you.
I am having the same issue. The paint is super thin. The vehicle rarely sees the freeway, yet, I have a bunch of front end paint chips. The chips don’t even have a crater, just a chip that exposes the undercoated metal. I am reporting it to the dealership and GM right now. I was told there has to be a bunch of vehicles that are reported for the same issue if GM is going to look into it.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 10:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sean75
I am having the same issue. The paint is super thin. The vehicle rarely sees the freeway, yet, I have a bunch of front end paint chips. The chips don’t even have a crater, just a chip that exposes the undercoated metal. I am reporting it to the dealership and GM right now. I was told there has to be a bunch of vehicles that are reported for the same issue if GM is going to look into it.
Chevy has had paint issues since the 1980's, particularly with white, but also blue. My current Chevy's are Silver and Forest Green. No issues at all and my K-1500 is 23 years old.
Old May 12th, 2022, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by prestonau
Thank you.
We purchased our 2020 Traverse brand new with the plastic still on everything. Not even a month later large paint chip occurred on the hood. We then started to noticed significant paint chips along the sides of the vehicle and the hood. We have only owned Chevy vehicles and never seen this occur. Very disappointed and hopefully we can receive feedback from Chevrolet as the dealership is not wanting to take ownership. There has to be a systemic issue with the initial painting process. Thickness ect.
Old February 19th, 2023, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Help! Nothing from my dealer about this problem with my 2020 Traverse wiith significant paint chips on hood,and side of doors.
Any help from GM regarding this problem?
I've owned many Chevrolet's since 1974 and never had anything like this problem. I have white spots all over my red car where the paint has flaked off.
Old May 4th, 2024, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Me too

Your post is so accurate first thought I wrote it.
How is our complaint registered at Chevy? On my last trip to the service center I complained about this but they did not enter it anywhere…