Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Why Traverse?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Traverse?

Obviously, many folks see the value in a Traverse, so please help me out. Granted, the Traverse is $8-9000 less than Tahoe. I'm not able to see anyting but price as an advantage for Traverse: MPG is not much better, it's about the same weight ( a little lighter), car frame vs. truck frame, passenger cpy about same. V6 vs. V8.

Tell me, why Traverse? If it's just cost, that's valid, but tell me.
Old August 29th, 2011, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Have 36000 km on a 2010 traverse AWD love it on ice works ok through snow. If I were to tow with it I would get the Tahoe. I do not feel the traverse is a vehicle that would stand up to any rough off road use. I think it is great on icy roads and my wife loves it. I burn up the roads and did a honest mileage check and on the highway at between 130 and 145 kph it did a little better than 21.5 mpg imperial. I can live with that. Ran it on the scales loaded it was just under 5000 lbs
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I rented a traverse for a while and the ride and drive was top notch. It drove like a dream, vs the tahoe drives and feels more like a truck imo.
Old September 11th, 2011, 5:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your responses. Obviously, Tahoe is a truck and rides like a truck. Certainly, one would not buy a Tahoe if they desire a ride like a car, which the Traverse does nicely. I've had a Tahoe for 12 years now, and am quite used to the ride, so that part doesn't bother me at all, and certainly would not be enough to move me toward a Traverse. All I've seen so far is the price and towing capacity differences. Apparently, these are the only differences, in addition to the ride. But why would you buy a Traverse? If all you need is cargo capacity, why not a minivan? There's more capacity in a minivan than either a Traverse or Tahoe. I don't get what the niche is between an SUV and a Minivan. You like the look of an SUV, but like the ride of a car? Let me know.
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Just bought a 2012 FWD 2LT

I have a Silverado 2500 4 X 4. I didn't want a second truck. Actually wanted a mini-van, but wife would not have anythig to do it (soccer mom kind of thing). We're in our late 50's and thinking about retirement. The 'verse just seemed to be what we needed. Expect it to shine when taking the kid and grandkid(s) out to dinner or shopping. After we retire, we might spend a month or two in Florida during the winter. I think it will do well on that sort of trip.
Old April 16th, 2012, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

I seriously thought about getting the Tahoe (brother in law has one) and have driven one and have access to several. But what it came down to was the much better 3rd row seating, (everything lays flat, while the Tahoe folded seats create a large, unattractive 'step') the cargo space with 3rd row used is incredible. It seats more comfortably (8) and has more usable cargo than a Tahoe. Plus, I think the Traverse even looks better.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

i just bought one its a 2012 1lt i went in for a Tahoe. but after seeing the rear seating i test drove the traverse and was told it got good mileage (close to 23 mpg ) so i saw the price difference and thought if i save 10 k and still has all of what my wife wants its a win win for me!
Old January 6th, 2013, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Traverse is the minivan replacement

My wife and I recently came to the conclusion that our next vehicle would be a Traverse. What sold us on that over the Tahoe was a few review videos we watched on YouTube. The Tahoe does not have the leg room for the third row that a normal grown up would need to sit comfortably; additionally, the Tahoe suffers the unfortunate lack of trunk space in favor for a shorter overall length; thus, a row of groceries is about all one could hope to fit behind that third row for stowage- if you're filling out 7-8 seats you need the capacity for stuff; strollers, water bottles, backpacks, lunchboxes, various other acoutrements of having kids...
Consumer Reports was relentless and unforgiving of Tahoe's longivity vice obvious shortcomings- especially on the track (again, YouTube) Naturally, a front wheel drive car unibody platform is going to outperform a rear drive truck based platform any day of the week (ok, fine, unless you're towing) Again, a front drive platform is better in snow and ice and will be more fuel efficient when compared to the 4-WD and AWD models. Traverse has a more aerodynamic shape which means better highway mpg too- there's several websites (again, find them on YouTube) that go in great detail over which vehicle has better fuel economy.
There are a wider range of drivetrain options for the Tahoe and it's a truck base so if you're towing this is the clear winner. So the bottom line is whether you want a people mover or a boat hauller ;-)
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing with Traverse/Acadia

I currently own a Suburban and tow a small enclosed 5X8 trailer with bmx bikes as the cargo. Suburban tows as if nothing is behind it. I would like to know if anyone that has the towing package how the Traverse/Acadia handles when towing a small load. My trailer and it's contents usually are under 1500 lbs. And by handling while towing I mean the manner in which the vehicle stops, controls sway, and pickup while accelerating from a stop. I ask due to the engine and transmission differences. If you own an AWD Traverse, I especially would like to hear about how they handle while towing.
Old March 14th, 2014, 8:27 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Yogi
I currently own a Suburban and tow a small enclosed 5X8 trailer with bmx bikes as the cargo. Suburban tows as if nothing is behind it. I would like to know if anyone that has the towing package how the Traverse/Acadia handles when towing a small load. My trailer and it's contents usually are under 1500 lbs. And by handling while towing I mean the manner in which the vehicle stops, controls sway, and pickup while accelerating from a stop. I ask due to the engine and transmission differences. If you own an AWD Traverse, I especially would like to hear about how they handle while towing.
I wouldnt mind hearing their opinions too. I have a Suburban 2500 and have towed a vehicle behind it and really never felt like i was towing anything, the transmission never struggled to find a gear going up hill thanks to the
powerful 6.0 motor. I have been considering downsizing to an Acadia Denali.
I wont be towing with it though.

Quick Reply: Why Traverse?