Trax Chevrolet's subcompact crossover SUV. This small SUV has a pioneer spirit, with modern technologies that make discovery easy and cargo space that molds to your lifestyle.

2017 Chevrolet Trax
Platform: Gamma II

Differential and Transfer Case fluids

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2020, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential and Transfer Case fluids

I have a 15 Trax AWD. I am having trouble finding the correct fluids, viscosities and API certification info. Anyone have an idea where I can find this? My owner's manual covers coolant, brake fluid, and transmission, but not transfer case and rear differential. Thanks
Old June 15th, 2020, 11:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 15 Trax
I have a 15 Trax AWD. I am having trouble finding the correct fluids, viscosities and API certification info. Anyone have an idea where I can find this? My owner's manual covers coolant, brake fluid, and transmission, but not transfer case and rear differential. Thanks
These are the fluids reccommed for your Trax:

1.5w-30 motor oil for the engine.
2. Dexron VI lubricant for auto transmission.
3. Synchromesh fluid for manual transmission.
4. Syncromesh fluid for the transfer case.
5. 75w-90 gear oil for axle fluids.

It would be best to use synthetic versions of these lubricants if you can afford to do so. I would not run the automatic transmission to 100k. There is no such thing as a permanent lubricant. All lubricants on a motor vehicle are subject to venting, meaning that Atmo, which contains H20, will enter the system, along with dust, and the break-in period of metal and other particles into the vehicle's drivetrain systems.

I would also suggest that you use high-quality oil filters in your motor. Fram is not one of these, however. They are as cheap as they come, and not worth your money in the long run.