Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

05 uplander quality/mechanical issues

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2006, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 uplander quality/mechanical issues

I bought an '05 Uplander LT AWD in April (preowned GM certified) at 19200 miles. Current miles are around 26,500.

So far we have had the alternator replaced (flickering interior and exterior lights).
The rear power sliding doors have been in for repair numerous times. The air conditioning has quit working mysteriously and will test out to spec when taken in for testing. Then, there is extreme and premature tire wear on the outside edges of the rear tires. My dealer has replaced rear tires twice since June 1 and just last week replaced all four OEM Continentals with Michelins.

To date they have been unable to fix the doors or eliminate the tire wear.

I've heard two different stories from the dealer claiming that the alignment machine had the wrong alignment specs for the car. Then they said later that GM changed the specs on the vehicle.

The latest is a planned meeting with the dealer and GM factory rep.

I'm not pleased at all and would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.
Old September 26th, 2006, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 05 uplander quality/mechanical issues

Hi, I have had a few problems as well. I am very dissapointed in my Uplander as I traded in a very good car for this. I have had problems with the right side passenger door. It will stop opening and shutting automatically and then the dinging will start. I have taken the car in 5 or 6 times for this problem. Tomarrow I am taking it again. I also have had problems with the air conditioning, only once though, it stopped misteriously then the next day when I took it to the dealer it was working fine. I have had problems with the breaks, my husband says they sound like they are getting stuck or caught up. But when they look at it no problem. Then last but not least is the stereo and DVD system. My stereo will cut out when playing stations that have the info available. I hate that option, but they say nothing wrong. DVD player takes forever to decided to play a movie. Not something a Mom, who is driving, really wants to deal with while her two year old is screaming for Pooh!!

I didnt buy from the dealership but I think I am going to where I did buy it from tomarrow and have a few word with them about it. I am so mad I could spit fire. I want my Mitsubishi back!!
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh the joys of new vehicle bugs.
Old February 21st, 2007, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2005 Uplander. I bought it new and from day one have had problems with the rear passenger door. More often than not, the door doesn't close without human assistance. I've had it to the dealership multiple times and it always fails to fail more often than not when at the dealership. I've had it there two days this time and all they've done is try to get it to malfunction. Incidentally, the stabilizer bar links were loose on the front and they had to fix that but they assured me I was in no danger. I probably won't buy a Chevolet again.
Old April 17th, 2007, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 Uplander and I find that my rear passenger door sticks... It's pretty hardto open. I'm taking it in tomorrow.
Old October 27th, 2008, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have had 2 Uplanders as company vans, and both are crap, terrible how the new engineers DO NOT learn from previous engineers. The alternator on my 1st van was pulsing the lights so much and so much of a voltage that sometimes cars approaching would flash thier lights back as a greeting! The dealer would not correct the problem since there were some LED flashing lights for traffic control mounted on the van, they said those lights were causing the problem, but i had not installed the lights until the 3rd week running, the alternator was bunked from the 1st night out! even still, just wait until you find out that GM now uses Plastic encased bearings on the front end ! Oh, did you notice you have no turn signal indicators on the front sides! but, good luck, hopefully GM and Chrysler will both go the way of the BETA VCR.
Old October 27th, 2008, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Ya know what the real funny part of these design of van is ??!?!? GM had already cancelled the production perhaps due to the quality issues. they were cancelled in Canada and US almost 2 years ago... the models for 09 are the last for Canada, 08's for US are the last. thank god!!!