Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2006 Uplander Thermostat Location and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2017, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Uplander Thermostat Location and Replacement

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 2006 Chevy Uplander 3.5L. Lately, I believe the thermostat is going out. It will heat up randomly sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. Sometimes it will undercool, and sometimes it will remain at good temps.

I am not a mechanic nor am I new to working on a vehicle. However, I simply do not know where the thermostat is. I have not gotten the chance to get out there and look too heavily, (Im on medical leave from the Dept of Correction due to an injury to my knee so Ive been avoiding standing around the engine working on it), but I plan to this weekend. i have a thermostat coming in the mail on Monday (I live in the middle of nowhere so everything is 30-60min or more away) and before I go out there tearing things apart I would like to see if someone knows where the thermostat is located on the Uplander. I know there is a difference between the 3.5L and 3.9L and the years. I can find a decent amount of information for the 2005 and other models and years, but nothing for the 2006 3.5L other than brief text instructional on autozone.

Can someone help me in explaining to me (pictures very much appreciated) on how to change the thermostat on the Uplander.
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you have little heat at idle and a lot more when held at 2500rpm test when the engine is warmed up ...its a symptom of air in the system. have the system vacuum filled.
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

I was thinking that it might be and that I might need to burp it, but I was leaning more towards the thermostat
There is no real rhyme or reason or pattern here. I can sit at idle and be normal, I can drive for an hour and be at normal. ...or I can overheat driving a mile down the road.
When it does overheat, it will heat up a little and then drop back to normal, or heat up into the red and then drop back down. Whenever it drops back down it always drops back to normal and sometimes shows under due to undercooling.
My wife tries to turn the heat on thinking that will help, but it doesnt. i usually just leave the air conditioner going and it reacts the same way.
There are rare cases where if it starts to overheat at a slower speed and you accelerate gradually it will cool off and reset to normal, but this is not common.
It goes up, back to normal, up, back to normal, up, back to normal. up to red, back to normal, up, undercool, and so on. No matter whether idle, at any specific RPM, or anything. Just whenever the car is running. I assume this is because the thermostat is opening and closing incorrectly.
Old August 10th, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

My thermostat part will be here on Saturday.

Can anyone give me a hing at where it is located in the 06? It would be much appreciated!