Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2007 Chevy Uplander- Auto Transmission issues...

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2017, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2007 Chevy Uplander- Auto Transmission issues...

2007 Chevy Uplander- GM 4-speed 4T65-E automatic transmission issues

Hello everyone,

Been awhile since I have posted here- but Mrs. 2ndsout and myself are in a bit of bind and I need some help.

We have a 2007 Chevy Uplander that we have on an auto loan that will be finished next year in 2018. It has the GM 4T65-E Auto Trans that is also used in the Saturn Relay, Buick Terraza, and Pontiac Montana, et al..

We still owe $3158.98 on the Van before it is paid off.

Last Friday- my wife was on her way to take our son to school, when the Transmission went out on the Van. Recently it has been more difficult to move the gear out of Park and it would be difficult to get it into Drive or Reverse. I took it to a local repair shop that quoted me $3121.88 to Rebuild the Transmission. Keep in mind of what we owe as well. I don't have any spare money in my bank account to go and try to buy a newer vehicle so we are going to have to finance the repair through the repair shop. The van currently has 168xxx miles on it.

I had the Van towed to a Transmission specific repair shop to see if the price may be less.

What are the common issues that have been noted with the GM 4T65-E Transmission? I have read a whole slew of different things.

The plan is to get the repair financed through the shop for 6 months same as cash; at the same time the Van will be either paid off before then or right around the same time, and then the plan that I thought was to turn the Van and sell it outright for $2000-$2500 to get back some of the money for the Trans repair and use the money to buy a newer vehicle for my wife (2012-2014 model year vehicle)...

Or we just keep the Van and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Granted- I have been wrenching on my own cars for 20 years- I don't have the full technical know how to rebuild or pull a Transmission- especially out of a Van.

Thoughts/Comments/Ideas?
Old September 30th, 2017, 6:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean "the Transmission went out on the Van" ?
What do you mean " Recently it has been more difficult to move the gear out of Park and it would be difficult to get it into Drive or Reverse" ?
Old September 30th, 2017, 7:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi there, I recently had my transmission on my 09 uplander (3.9L) changed (forward band was broken) at 178 000 km in february. I took it to my local GM dealer here in Toronto, and they put in a new one for just over $3000, and it comes with a 3 year/160 000 km warranty. Van now has 194 000 km and is running like a dream. If your van is in good shape, you might want to consider this option and keep it for a while.

I also have an 06 montana sv6 (3.5L)with 174 000 km. I had to change the shift solenoids ( 3 or 4 of them) at 160 000 km due to harsh shifting.

hope this helps.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

To explain a bit further:

My wife was driving and she told me, that her foot on the gas- the Van was not moving- the Engine was just revving. She was able to get the Van into Reverse to get the Van back to our house, where it was towed to a Trans shop.

Over the past month or so, with the Van sitting, and after starting it up, to physically try to move the gear shift on the steering column from Park to Reverse or Drive- took major effort to move- almost as if it was jammed in Park. I don't know if that makes sense, but it shouldn't take a huge heavy handed effort to move the gear shift from gear to gear to make it work.
Old October 4th, 2017, 8:30 AM
CF Junior Member

So I had the same issue where the van was revving but not moving ( the one where the forward band had broke). I had tried everything, D, 3, and 2 would give me nothing and finally by selecting 1, the van would be able to crawl maybe at 20km/hr and get to the side of the road Reverse also worked fine for me.

As for the gear shift being physically hard to move, Is your driveway or where you park the van slanted?
After getting it out of park, is it then easy to move between gears?

If it is slanted, you might want to use the parking brake to take some strain off the transmission when parking, that is, if your parking brakes hold well.
Old October 4th, 2017, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

The Trans shop called me yesterday. The Planetary Gears inside the Trans are completely stripped of gears. They can rebuild the Transmission, but with everything all together Parts and Labor- Parts are $1600, and Labor is roughly $1200... so a total of $2800 all together.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the Van fixed- it's my wife's daily driver. But on the same token- we are going to put money away for 2018 and probably will buy a new vehicle at the end of next year and then just have the Van as a backup 3rd vehicle if needed.

I think we may end up selling the Van down the road...