Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Added cheap lumbar

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added cheap lumbar

My cargo van came with manual seats, and I converted them to power right after I bought the van. A big improvement in comfort.
However, Lumbar support is sadly lacking in these buckets.
I would have sprang for factory seats with adjustable lumbar however I can find no seats with that feature. I am told by dealership it wasn't even an option.
I wanted to put 'inside the seat' lumbar bladders but after only finding one single reference to taking the seats apart, and that one wasn't from a happy owner... I decided to go with the cheap after market hand pump bladders.
Got them on Amazon for about 65 bucks shipped for two.
Don't like how they look, black rubber pillow strapped to the seat.
I do like how my back feels after two or three hours in the van.
Huge improvement.
Non-seniors may not think you need lumbar support, and these seats are comfortable enough for around town but anything over a couple hundred miles and they are a life saver.
Old September 19th, 2012, 6:30 PM
CF Active Member

Excellent post Chris! One of my first thoughts in test driving these vans was that they had terrible lumbar support and possibly THE WORST arm rests every produced!!!

I've been planning when I get time to hit some salvage yards and check online for perhaps a pickup (compact or full size) that may have at least a compatible driver seat, with or without power.

So far I have tint, remote start, stereo, OEM 5 spoke alloys and plan on engine/tranny upgrade in the near future. I'd really like to remove the rear cargo springs/shocks and install standard height springs, easier on my back when loading and unloading.

Sorry for the derail Chris!

EDIT: What about throwing some decent seat covers over the seats and no more exposed bladder!

Jeremy

Last edited by niceguy88; September 19th, 2012 at 8:10 PM.
Old September 20th, 2012, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,Jeremy , I yeah thought about it, but the last time I bought custom seat covers, they were, well, less than advertised and I sent them back.
That time I eventually recovered my seats with leather OEM skins (F150 pickup).
Made them look factory, five years later they look great.
But the F150 seats had lumbar, etc. and were, well much higher quality.

I've thought about putting high end Tahoe seats in the Uplander, but since no one has tried that, it would mean buying 300-600 bucks worth of seats and taking a chance I could fabricate an adapter.
I would also want to match the weight sensor on the passenger side, something that can be very tricky, as they are factory calibrated to the BCM.

Additional posible negative, the 'new seats' would not match the single rear seat, which we sometimes use.

I have the third seat in when we carry 3 for my wife's music engagements. Room for amps, speakers plus piano player and singer in the Uplander, then the 'roady' to drive... usually me...
Or room for three power wheel chairs, loaded with a 7 foot ramp for other trips. You power the empty chairs up the ramp, with the wheelchair seat folded down. You can park three of them in there if you are careful and take your time.

My wife donates time and skills to convalescent homes locally, or one of the main reasons we own the Uplander.

Last edited by chrisadams; September 20th, 2012 at 9:01 AM. Reason: typo