Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Air Conditioner questions

Old October 18th, 2018, 2:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Conditioner questions

Hello, I've just bought myself a 2006 Uplander. I've never owned a vehicle with Air Conditioning before. After getting it home and parking it in the same place for 24 hours, I noticed what looked like a small oil slick where it had been parked. It felt like extremely thin oil and had a strong smell to it. I found where the leak was coming from and watched it over the next few days. Sometimes it would drip, and sometimes it wouldn't. Once, there was a yellow residue in the liquid that didn't look anything like the fluids found under the hood. I've since learned that the A/C produces water condensation that sometimes picks up dust and other things before dripping off the A/C lines. When I put a piece of cardboard underneath, it didn't leave an oil slick, just a smudge-like dust residue. Also, the dealer I bought my Uplander from cleaned it, tuned it up, and changed all the fluids before putting it on the market. My first question is does the A/C have to be turned on to produce condensation, or do I just have to turn on the heater or windshield defogger? What would account for the strong smell and oily feel? Is there a leak in my A/C., or is there another explanation for this? Thanks!
Old October 18th, 2018, 3:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Inari
Hello, I've just bought myself a 2006 Uplander. I've never owned a vehicle with Air Conditioning before. After getting it home and parking it in the same place for 24 hours, I noticed what looked like a small oil slick where it had been parked. It felt like extremely thin oil and had a strong smell to it. I found where the leak was coming from and watched it over the next few days. Sometimes it would drip, and sometimes it wouldn't. Once, there was a yellow residue in the liquid that didn't look anything like the fluids found under the hood. I've since learned that the A/C produces water condensation that sometimes picks up dust and other things before dripping off the A/C lines. When I put a piece of cardboard underneath, it didn't leave an oil slick, just a smudge-like dust residue. Also, the dealer I bought my Uplander from cleaned it, tuned it up, and changed all the fluids before putting it on the market. My first question is does the A/C have to be turned on to produce condensation, or do I just have to turn on the heater or windshield defogger? What would account for the strong smell and oily feel? Is there a leak in my A/C., or is there another explanation for this? Thanks!
PAG oil is yellow. Probably have a leak. If it doesnt have dye you can add it to see where the leak is. Its green colored. Might want to check your hi and low pressures too.

Hopefully it isn't the eveaporator. Those require taking the dash apart, a major job.
Old October 18th, 2018, 3:46 PM
CF Monarch

See my post above.
Old October 19th, 2018, 8:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello, Oil Can Henry,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure learning a lot about A/C. While the mystery has been solved for me, I think this information might be valuable to someone else, so I'll add what else I've learned abut it. I've just had a long talk with a friend who has a mechanic's ticket and who checked the leak for me. He identified the mystery oil as A/C lube. He say it is coming from a faulty line hose. By feeling along it, he was able to tell that part of the line was rusted out. I asked him if it was possible that that it could have been spilled onto the lines when the van was serviced at the dealer's before I bought it. He said no. A Canister of Freon/AC lube won't release its contents until it's fit snugly into an intake socket attached to the A/C unit. Now I have the fun of calling the holder of the third party warranty, that came with the van, to see if they'll cover the fix. Is it or is it not a "pre-existing" issue? (Which wouldn't be covered.) One week later and I still haven't heard back from the dealership owner.

Last edited by Inari; October 19th, 2018 at 8:25 PM. Reason: Wording too awkward
Old December 17th, 2018, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Follow-up: I demonstrated to the dealer's mechanic was we had found and he agreed to put in another a/c line and recharge the A/C..
Old December 18th, 2018, 11:00 AM
CF Monarch

Follow-up: I demonstrated to the dealer's mechanic was we had found and he agreed to put in another a/c line and recharge the A/C..
I am glad to hear it!!!

Search this Thread