Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Alternator Replacement Info

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2012, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 442dude
Oh yeah it was! - the alternator was passenger side up against the middle of the firewall under the wiper mechanism and covers. No way to get to it other than to spin the motor. Feeling pretty good that it was only me and 6 hours vs 2 mechanics and 6.5 on the Grand Prix! Pain? Absolutely!!!!! LOL
I can see my alternator behind the intake up against the firewall under the cowl and wiper arm mechanism. Sounds like the same as yours. Mine looks like it's a reach to get at, and it wont come out through the top over the intake, however it does look like if you remove the fuse box and washer fluid tank you can slide it out from the passenger side once you get it loose.

Here's hoping!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by PG2676
I can see my alternator behind the intake up against the firewall under the cowl and wiper arm mechanism. Sounds like the same as yours. Mine looks like it's a reach to get at, and it wont come out through the top over the intake, however it does look like if you remove the fuse box and washer fluid tank you can slide it out from the passenger side once you get it loose.

Here's hoping!
Hope so!

You've got me curious now - going to go out and look at my Uplander to see. The Venture had a bolt on the back of the alternator that I absolutely couldn't reach until I spun the motor. And the power steering pump had to get unbolted too. On the bright side though, the Uplander seems a little wider in the fenders than the Venture was so we might get lucky.

I was amazed at how easy the motor was to turn with the top motor mounts off and trans in neutral.

All the best! Happy Holidays!
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
CF Junior Member

I talked to the dealer yesterday and they told me it's a 2.5hr job to change the alternator. One of the mechanics standing there at the time said "Oh yeah, the Uplander! Everytime one of our guys changes one of those, all I hear is swearing coming from the back of the shop!" Maybe 2.5hrs labour isn't so bad considering what kind of bull**** I may run into.

On another note, the "Voltage" indicator on the display is running about 15.0 volts, kinda high if you ask me.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by PG2676
On another note, the "Voltage" indicator on the display is running about 15.0 volts, kinda high if you ask me.
its not.

Last edited by tech2; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 24th, 2013, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

^^^Agreed - 15 is ok. If you watch it over a period of time it will likely fluctuate
Old May 1st, 2014, 3:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Is there a difference between an AC Delco Alternator

Is there a difference between an AC Delco Alternator from the local parts store and one from the dealer?

Fortunately I haven't had to change one in quite a while, but I remember the guy at the Auto Parts store trying to get me to buy their brand. After all it was cheaper and came with a life time warranty. I showed him my skinned up knuckles and told him I didn't care what kind of replacement warranty it came with, I wanted a new AC Delco so I wouldn't have to change it again.
Old May 1st, 2014, 9:08 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

AC Delco is the "name brand" and is also the OEM original equipment manufacturer, it is the same part that your vehicle was built with...( it could also be a Delphi too)
The Auto parts store one may meet the standards of the OEM but often times its the minimum standards. Its built cheaper so they can sell it cheaper and they also get more of the mark up....

Its been my experience to always use the OEM part, they almost always last as long as the original, yes they cost more but there is a reason for that, they tend to be better built and longer lasting....
fF you are going to turn-around and sell the vehicle, I'd say go with the store brand... if you are keeping her for a few more years... do the OEM...