Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Engine/trans cradle bolts

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2021, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine/trans cradle bolts

On my 2006 Uplander with a 3.5 and 341000 kms, the transmission is exhibiting symptoms of which points to needing replacement of its pressure control solenoid and shift valves, of which cause slow shifting between gears, hard engagement when leaving a stop, and very firm shifting when hot. I've done a replacement of these items on my friends 2005 Montana (non SV6), but his cradle design is slightly different.

My problem is the rear cradle bolts, they will not come loose! I'm assuming its corrosion because I have tried everything to loosen them, from long breaker bars to impacts. Even had a repair shop that I get my suspension work done by use their tools on, with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you deal with it? No, I'm not getting rid off it only because it's been good to me, and with the prices of new vehicles these days, it is not economically feasible for me at this time. Plus, I enjoy the challenge of resolving mechanical issues myself.
The following users liked this post:
Dion wr (November 7th, 2022)
Old May 16th, 2021, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never dealt with those bolts myself. Nonetheless, I assume you already tried penetrating oil like Deep Creep? Give them a shot of oil couple times a day for several days before your next attempt at cracking them loose. Try a little clockwise first then counter-clockwise (like a stuck spark plug when your trying not to break it).
Failing that here’s a link to a website where a guy gives much more intensive and detailed solutions for the very problem you’re having:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/...-2-119207.html
Old June 6th, 2021, 2:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myraus
On my 2006 Uplander with a 3.5 and 341000 kms, the transmission is exhibiting symptoms of which points to needing replacement of its pressure control solenoid and shift valves, of which cause slow shifting between gears, hard engagement when leaving a stop, and very firm shifting when hot. I've done a replacement of these items on my friends 2005 Montana (non SV6), but his cradle design is slightly different.

My problem is the rear cradle bolts, they will not come loose! I'm assuming its corrosion because I have tried everything to loosen them, from long breaker bars to impacts. Even had a repair shop that I get my suspension work done by use their tools on, with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you deal with it? No, I'm not getting rid off it only because it's been good to me, and with the prices of new vehicles these days, it is not economically feasible for me at this time. Plus, I enjoy the challenge of resolving mechanical issues myself.
any updates?
you may want to call the dealer... i have heard some reasonable quotes and some unreasonable ones... not sure if they stand by the quotes or not, but i once heard 300 for new solenoids if i brought them the solenoids
did you try breaker bar plus a 'cheater pipe'?
Old August 18th, 2022, 6:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, myraus. How’s it going now? I hope you’ve solved your issue. I’m curious about how you’ve solved it. So, I’d be really grateful for your reply cause, you know, I had the same problem. Actually, I still have, so I’m looking for a reasonable suggestion. I’m also looking for a good service nearby. My friend actually helps me a lot. He even helped me to find the best hoop iron for my house. So, any suggestions are welcome. Waiting for your replies. Thanks in advance.