Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Fluid leak from innder side of back tire.

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2020, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always had a mini van , always will .... they serve their purpose but not as a daily driver in our case

The last rear drive mini van I've seen by GM was the Astro/Safari that ended in '05
Our '03 Astro with stock haul package can tow a beefy cargo compared to our '08 Uplander

The '06 Uplander by the OP is definitely front wheel drive and if the brake fluid in the reservoir is clear but what is leaking on the rear inner wheel
is dark it's very likely corroding the surface of what it's leaking on

You can compare viscosity with your fingers and the way it smells both at the reservoir and where it leaks to confirm that it is brake fluid

He's annoying .... but he's got some good videos .....ehehe

Last edited by vinman; June 2nd, 2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 1:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

I wouldn't even call the Astro a mini van. With 4x10' cargo area, 1/2 ton payload, partial subframe, and decent towing capacity, it is a truck. The chassis is very similar to a 1/2t pickup, and shares some components. Even the Safari badge says GMC TRUCK.

Pretty much all true minivans are FWD. Some, like this Uplander, have optional AWD. But it will be a independent suspension setup. There's no way you can fit a floating axle under there and still have the low floor that they do.

It's either brake fluid OR leaking shocks. I've had those drip on my too.
Old June 8th, 2020, 2:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love you guys. We're all learning a lot, here.

I took my van to my boyfriend's place, He took the wheel off, and I pumped the brakes and stood on them for several minutes and he couldn't find a leak anywhere. I checked the brake reservoir, since his driveway is on level ground, and the brake fluid is only about 1 or 2 mm from the maximum mark. I'm starting to wondering if someone is playing a practical joke on me with oil and a squirt bottle. The rear axle oil would be very thick and very dark, so that wasn't it. Also, he says the leak is in the wrong place for a broken shock absorber.

I checked under the rear wheel again this afternoon, and found more oil on my tire. This time it's clear. I think it's already picked up all of the dirt from the back of my wheel and tire. I show Glen the oil and he tells me it's coming from the parking brake -- which he says it attached to the same hydraulic system as the main braking system. If it is leaking only when the parking brake is applied, this would explain why it only leaks when it's parked at my place on a slant.

He says it's safe to drive, and I won't lose any more brake fluid as long as I don't use the parking brake, until he returns home next Friday. I've already lost four days of work over this, and some of my clients are getting antsy. Fortunately, my commute is only several miles a day and none of it over 30 mph/50 kmph. I can also have BCAA tow me to his place if the idiot light comes on, or the brakes get spongy. I also understand that the master cylinder in the Uplander is divided into two compartments for the front and back, so if the back suddenly goes I'll have enough braking power to stop me in the front. And yes, I'll keep watching the fluid level.

Now for the reality check. Do any of you have any experience with leaking emergency brakes? When I checked online, I found out that E-brake kits for Uplanders are sold with brake cables and not hydraulic lines. Could you please explain how the parking brake is connected to the main braking system? He told me he needs to install a new brake caliper to fix the problem. I'm hoping my boyfriend hasn't gone covid19 crazy, and isn't giving me a crazy story.

Also, when checking for a leak in the brake lines, can this be done when the engine is turned off, when the brake assist isn't activated?

Thanks,
Inari

Last edited by Inari; June 8th, 2020 at 3:37 AM.
Old June 8th, 2020, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

emergency brakes don't leak...they are a mechanical system. the point of the ebrake system is to have a mechanical back up in case the hydraulic system fails.

some e brakes use a lever to push the caliper piston out to set the ebrake. does the brake pedal have a long travel/deep pedal?

if you are sure its brake fluid leaking...its not safe, ebrake use or not. post some pics. it probably does need a caliper.

fluid can only be leaking from...the caliper, the flex line, the fitting or hard line. you can check for a leak by depressing the pedal engine on or off. if the pedal slowly sinks...you have a problem.

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2020 at 9:30 AM.
Old June 8th, 2020, 12:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for getting back to me and elucidating how the parking brake works with the regular brake system. I know understand what Glen was alluding to.

I've just checked under the wheel this morning and there is no sign of any leak at all. However, I did pour water on the wheel last night so the brake fluid wouldn't splash up when I was driving to work this morning. The brake fluid is still at the level it was yesterday. (I marked it with a felt pen to keep track.) I also looked to see how the E-brake connects with the rear-right brake and I can see where the cable connects with the caliper. (The e-brake cable comes into the caliper from the left.) The caliper does look like it could be a little wet, and could be weeping. The brake pedal is still firm and is nowhere near the floor when I applied it: no problems there.

As much as I hate contradicting any advice I get, I've just taken the liberty of phoning the local junkyard. (Nothing personal, but I've already missed four days of work and it's five days until my man gets back from his.) I've known the parts guy for a long time, I've done work for him over the years, and he used to pull wrenches. However, I hate bothering him all the time because he's a busy man. Mark backs up what Glen told me and says it's safe to drive, as long as I don't use the e-brake. That is, unless it gets worse, but it should be fixed ASAP so it doesn't destroy the brake pads. I hope I've been of use to somebody.

Last edited by Inari; June 8th, 2020 at 1:19 PM. Reason: to explain the photograph
Old June 9th, 2020, 9:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

when the brake pedal is applied...fluid pushes the pistons straight out. when the ebrake moves a screw behind the piston rotates and moves it out. it just a matter of time until it leaks for both situations.

Last edited by tech2; June 9th, 2020 at 9:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Inari (August 20th, 2020)
Old August 20th, 2020, 9:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for explaining what happened, I was wondering the mechanism behind it. Here's my update on this problem and how it was fixed. I exaggerated, when I described the leak as a "puddle." It was actually a four-inch wide film. I was more worried about it than my former mechanic boyfriend. I did drive it for a whole week and a half until we got the brand-new brake caliper, but not much more than 100 km/65 miles.We didn't have to worry about the leak ruining the brake pad because the leak came from where the e-brake cable fed into the caliper. (See my photograph - above - for the specific location.) This was actually 2 inches AHEAD of where the brake pad was located. It only leaked when I applied the emergency brake so I was instructed to keep on checking the brake fluid and not not apply the e-brake unless absolutely necessary. If I had lost a lot of fluid, I had my CAA membership to get me towed. As it was I didn't have to take it on the freeway during my commute and my longest commute was 30km/18mi both ways. After the caliper was replaced, the problem was gone.

Inari

Last edited by Inari; August 31st, 2020 at 3:04 AM. Reason: better explanation