Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Horn Honking Upon Startup/Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Horn Honking Upon Startup/Won't Start

My wife's van refuses to start 3/5 times. All the dash lights turn on, the doors lock and unlock on their own, the starter clicks, and the horn blows obnoxiously. It takes about two or three hours of it sitting for it to start fine. I've seen a couple posts about how there is some super stupid/secret factory alarm system/switch which causes this but I haven't been able to find anything under the dash.

She just took it to our mechanic...I'm friggin' broke and hopefully this won't be expensive to fix. Between this and my Trailblazer https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tra...ch-lock-46452/ our two Chevys are quickly becoming money pits. Our last four cars have been Chevys but I'm really becoming disgusted at how much money I've had to sink into all of them on a semi-regular basis. I love their vehicles but I feel like I need to start looking at another brand.
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there any codes? Might be the body control module, or a communication failure. Need to know if, and what code there is.

Last edited by kevinkpk; November 10th, 2011 at 1:08 PM.
Old November 10th, 2011, 1:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by sirguinness
She just took it to our mechanic...I'm friggin' broke and hopefully this won't be expensive to fix. Between this and my Trailblazer https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tra...ch-lock-46452/ our two Chevys are quickly becoming money pits. Our last four cars have been Chevys but I'm really becoming disgusted at how much money I've had to sink into all of them on a semi-regular basis. I love their vehicles but I feel like I need to start looking at another brand.
I don't think GM is going to last much more than a couple years. They are having such a poor quality issue. The last GM I owned (still do) is a 2000 suburban. The last worth a hoot was a company 2006 Silverado. Since then I've also had an 08, and a 2011 Silverado. Issue, after issue. I call it "aftermarket sales" thats poor quality, and failure in time after the sale to sell parts, and service. No company with that "seeming" philosophy will last, just GM hasn't learned that.
Old November 11th, 2011, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright the mechanic said it was a voltage issue from the battery(original battery apparently) so we got a new battery and we'll see if there are any problems in the future.

And I agree with you Kevin, the quality has gone downhill. My '02 S10 and '04 Tahoe never really had any problems outside of fuses but that is because I had a fair amount of emergency lighting in them and never upgraded the electrical system. I'm looking around for other brands for my next vehicle.