Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

New General Motors Business Model

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2010, 8:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New General Motors Business Model

I do own a 2005 Uplander since buying it new.

What concerns me after reading a number of different recent threads regarding different topics is that GM customers are still getting rediculous excuses from their GM dealerships when they are taking their vehicles in for repairs.

In January 2010, I wrote a long letter to General Motors and the Dealership where I bought the van. Suffice it to say, I was not overall pleased with the parent company as I told them that I thought their business model was broken, which culminated with GM's bankruptcy in 2009. Product prior to the bankruptcy was definitely deficient for several years in many ways.

I was somewhat surprised that they [both the dealership and the parent company in Canada] immediately responded to my letter and apologized for their past performance as a whole. They promised to do better in the future.

My local dealership informed me that there were four new components to the new GM Business Model that they were going to adhere to; they are in order of importance:

1. Product Support
2. Customer Support
3. Produce product that is reliable and that appeals to the public
4. [I do not know the details of this item, but it refers to something internal dealing with the company employees.]

Thus it seems that GM is stating that they are emphasizing support for the customer and the product as the highest priorities in the new Business Model.

My suggestion would be to any owners of GM product, when you are working out a problem with your local dealership and they start to make excuses that do not make sense, remind them that the parent company experienced a recent bankrupcy because of a failed business model. If all aspects of General Motors, including the dealerships do not get on board with the new Business Model, then the company is doomed to fail. That would be a tragedy for everybody. I would like to see General Motors succeed in their Business Model.

Also I would say that it is important when getting unsatisfactory service from the dealership, that you keep going up the corporate chain to inform them of the problem so that the upper levels of the company are aware of what is happening at the street level. Then there is no excuses for the crying if they fail the next time around.

Do not forget, GM is on a so called "probation" at this time; the USA and Canada [governments] now have large public shares in this company.
Old June 13th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tread ice. Lets hope we all follow your advise.