Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

New (to me) Car

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2012, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) Car

I just bought an 07 Relay with just over 70K miles. Very clean Base model, I think -- manual doors, steel wheels. I changed the engine oil and also changed the transmission oil and filter. Removed about 9 qts of trans oil -- very dirty. It was a lot easier than I thought.<O</O
I am assuming that the 3.9 L engine is non-interference??
How hard is it to drain the radiator on this car? <O></O>
Does anyone have any other suggestions for preventive maintenance?<O></O>
<O></O>
Old December 10th, 2012, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Draining antifreeze is just like any other - use the drain at the bottom of the radiator or just take off the lower hose. When you refill it you have to bleed out the air - there is a bleeder up by the thermostat and there may be another by the water pump.

The 3.9 has a timing chain so there's no need to worry about it if you're not having performance issues. I would recommend refreshing the power steering fluid as well - use a turkey baster to suck out as much as you can and then refill. Then wait a month and do it again. Also - change the cabin air filter - its located inside the glove box...its often forgotten about. At 70K, take a look at the serpentine belt to see if its ok. I've heard that its a good idea to replace the brake fluid from time to time but I'm not sure if you need a scanner to bleed it as I had it done by my mechanic...Otherwise I think you've got it covered. Drive and enjoy!