Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

No Crank No Start 2008 uplander

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2018, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank No Start 2008 uplander

This uplander just started doing this and it has me about nuts. My wife tried to start the car in the morning to go away and the key turned fine the dash lights came on but when she tried to start the car nothing, the dash lights go out but no crank ,on click, no noise.
I checked for fuses but found nothing that was related to the starter. I checked relays and replaced 2, the crank relay and a main or IGN relay.
All OK, I removed the starter, solenoid looked bad but works great, sounded rough so I ordered a new one.
Hooked up started on the ground with jumpers, no go, I jumped the purple wire coming out from under the relay under the hood and the solenoid clicked in and the starter ran.
OK what's next? Passkey III system? Well I have 2 different keys that will not crank the engine so I figured that may be working.
I pulled the ignition switch out but I can't check it. I found the green connector on the switch and checked for 12 volts, no good. All but one of the 7 or 8 wires does show about 82 ohms.
Now can I jump two of these wires to get the starter to kick in?
I don't need the Passkey system if I can bypass it if that will help but I can't see how.
Now this may be nothing but I did find the fuse and relay block under the hood was not completely together. What do you mean? Well I can pull up on the tray that holds the fuses and it lifts right off. I replaced it and doesn't seem to go together enough.
Now if I pull this tray off and then remove the 3 large connector that are still on the fender well, can I put them in the tray and then put the tray back on?
I noticed the small white locking bars on each side on each connector, I haven't figured them out yet.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old March 5th, 2018, 7:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What does the battery voltage do when you turn the key?
What is the battery voltage at rest?
Old March 5th, 2018, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no crank no start

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
What does the battery voltage do when you turn the key?
What is the battery voltage at rest?
Well the problem is fixed. The battery had good voltage both ways.
The main fuse box (under the hood) and a relay must have been the problem.
The relay started the problem then as I was checking fuses and relays I must have pulled up on the fuse box tray and seperated it enough to lose contact between the relays and the harness connectors. It would not go back together.
I found some info online when I was checking for fuse box connections. The sight showed how you reset the connector locks in the fuse box base.
I did this and replaced the fuse box tray and it snapped back in place. I have never seen it together as good as it is now.
I then put everything back together in the dash and it works fine.