Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

OEM Goodyear tires getting noisy

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2010, 1:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OEM Goodyear tires getting noisy

The original Goodyear Integrity tires on the van are getting noisy, especially after the last rotation. I stopped at Tech Tire here in Leamington last week and talked to one of the techs about my tire noise. He said "Does it sound like you are driving on old bias snow tires?" Yes, I said, exactly like old bias snows. He took me outside and examined the tires... thay are worn in a slight coarse ripple on the inside tread of all the tires. He said that the alignment looks very good as the rest of the tread shows no signs of misalignment, just the inside tread.
The tech said that the wear on the inside tread is caused by weak/worn suspension components. He asked how old the Uplander was and I said August 2007 , 29k miles. He recommended I take it to the dealer and see if they would do anything about the weak shocks/struts that were causing the problem. The tire tech said that if I put another set of new tires on the van the same thing would happen.

I took the van to the dealer last Friday, the dealer checked out the tires and the suspension and told me that there was nothing they could/would do for the inside tread wear.
The service manager said that there was inside tread wear causing the tires to whine but there was nothing wrong with the suspension. He said he wouldn't replace any tires or suspension parts and he gave me a piece of paper with GM Canada Customer Service's #800 number on it. He also said that I was welcome to try another dealer if I wanted....
He said that since I changed my own oil and rotated my own tires that I didn't have a documented log of these being done. The tires have been rotated regularly.

The dealer's service manager:
1) admitted the tires were abnormally worn and noisy.
2) admitted there were no signs of misalignment just as the tire tech had said.
BUT
1) said he couldn't find a problem (Uh ... my tires are scalloped. All 4 because they were regularly rotated)
2) told me to try another dealer (What kind of customer service is THAT !!)
3) told me to call GM's #800
Old August 3rd, 2010, 8:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very interesting story.

My observations are as follows;

1. There might be a problem with the integrity of the front suspension components on the 2007 model year.
2. There might be a problem with the quality of the model of tire - Goodyear.

My 2005 Uplander had Continental tires when it came from the factory. They were rotated regularly and I got about 65K kms before replacing with a set of Yokohama tires. I was not impressed with the ride or the performance of the Continental tires.

I drove all kinds of brands of tires for decades in very punishing conditions before I retired. My personal preference now is to go to a Japanese brand [Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama.] For the price, they seem to out perform all of the domestic brands.

Good quality rubber is important. Hope you have some success in resolving this problem.
Old August 9th, 2010, 8:51 PM
CF Senior Member

I called the GM customer service number and they set up an appointment for me with another dealer for 9:30 this morning. The mechanic this morning put the van on the alignment rack and said that the rear solid beam axle needs a "shim" installed so they can correct a camber fault. They will then do a 4 wheel alignment (no cost to me, GM warranty repair). The alignment tech said that the abnormal inside rib tire wear was caused by the rear axle misalignment and that he had fixed quite a few of these vehicles (Pontiac Montana, Chev Uplander and Venture).
The GM Customer Service guy called a few minutes ago, I told him about my concern for the whining tires. He said: "Let's get the shim installed and the alignment done. I will keep this file open and we'll see how the tires perform in the upcoming weeks after the repairs".
Sounds reasonable ??.
Old August 9th, 2010, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

sounds to me like they are working with you..
I'd tell others of your good service from the tire place
and the new dealership
Old August 10th, 2010, 6:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Good on you, Papa Bear for being persistent and following up the issue with Customer Support. Also good on GM for listening and wanting to resolve your problem.

I hope Customer Support goes back to the original dealership that you dealt with, and helps that service manager rethink the issue so that the next time the same thing happens, he will know what to do.

I hope this helps to solve your problem.
Old August 13th, 2010, 5:41 PM
CF Senior Member

The shim came in and I had my appointment at the dealer this afternoon.
The alignment tech worked on the van for 2 hrs getting the shim installed in the "optimum" position and getting the 4 wheel alignment as good as possible. The service advisor gave me the bill at the end and it was $0.00.

Came home and called the GM customer Service guy and told him that the alignment was done, but I had concerns about the noise from the tires. He said that GM did not warranty tires and offered to send me a coupon for a free L.O.F. (lube, oil, filter). The van has 30k miles on it and 8/32 left on the tires (G.Y. Integrity), they aren't half gone yet.
I hope they quieten down as they wear now or I may have to replace early.

So, I got a free rear wheel shim install and 4 wheel alignment.. and a free L.O.F. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick I guess.

We'll see how the tires do now with a good alignment and doubling up on the rotations.
Old August 13th, 2010, 6:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the update.
Old August 13th, 2010, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Not to rule anything out, tires can get noisier as they wear down due to the decreasing tread depth and the types of compounds the tires are made of...
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM
CF Senior Member

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services/warranty/gm-total By golly, tires ARE COVERED in the new car 3yr warranty.
I'll be calling Customer Service again on Monday... this will be interesting !!
Old August 17th, 2010, 7:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Here is an exerpt from a GM document explaining tire warranty: See underlined sentence toward bottom.

Document ID# 2034415

Subject: Revised General Motors New Vehicle Tire Warranty Program #00-03-10-003M - (10/29/2007)

Models: 1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks:

The GM New Vehicle Tire Warranty

GM provides it's customers with comprehensive coverage on OEM new vehicle tires. In many cases this warranty exceeds the coverage provided by the tire manufacturers themselves. The GM new vehicle tire warranty program is designed to offer dealers the required amount of latitude to handle any type of tire concern and repair the customers vehicle with a minimum of approvals. The web based feedback structure for reporting and shipping tire returns remains unchanged.
Program Rules and Information

The sections below detail what conditions are warrantable under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty. All tire warranty replacements made by a GM dealer are without a mileage pro-rate charge.
What Is Covered

Only Original Equipment (OE) tires are covered against defects in material and workmanship. OE tires will have a Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) number molded on the sidewall near the tire size. (Exceptions: Vibe, and Aveo, do not use TPC tires, but are still covered.) Any replaced tire will continue to be covered for the remaining portion of the New Vehicle Warranty. Tires will be warranted without prorated charges for tread mileage.

Important: Tires purchased by consumers beyond the New Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper coverage or even replaced during the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage for wear out are warranted by the tire manufacturer (including tires purchased through the Goodwrench Tire Program). Contact the tire manufacturer for warranty processing instructions.

Following expiration of GM's coverage, tires may continue to be warranted, on a pro-rated basis, by the tire manufacturer. Review the tire manufacturer's booklet (included as part of the glove box material).
What Is Not Covered
• Non-original equipment tires (those without a TPC number molded on the sidewall (except Aveo and Vibe) are not covered.
• Normal tire wear and wear out is not covered.

Important: Tire wear greatly varies by both the tire type installed and the driving habits of the owner. OEM tires installed on GM vehicles are evaluated for many different criteria and may have been selected to optimize handling, ride quality, load carrying or traction demands. Different types of tires will experience different rates of wear, resulting from all of the above factors. No warranty is offered on the usable tread life of the tires.

• Uneven wear from damaged, worn or mis-aligned suspension components is not covered unless the wear has resulted from a warrantable suspension condition. Tire replacements resulting from these allowable suspension conditions should be included on the same RO#. (If this is not possible the RO# for the tire replacement should reference the RO# the warrantable suspension component/condition is listed on, or be attached).
• Road hazard is not covered. This includes punctures, cuts, impact breaks, etc.

Called GM Customer Relations again today with this document and they are reconsidering their decision not to replace my tires. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: OEM Goodyear tires getting noisy