Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2020, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering

Guys I just replaced my rack and pinion, I started the van up the power steering pump made noise like it needed fluid I added I had power steering for a couple minutes then it stopped no power steering at all. I took the return line off I’m still getting pulses of fluid not sure if pump went bad or what to do next?
Old September 11th, 2020, 2:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Did the fluid level go down after you added fluid?
Old September 11th, 2020, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Yes the level did go down. The level was fine before startup I guess as it filled rack it went down I filled it up matter of seconds the whole time it was sounding as though it was low maybe a minute later no steering.
Old September 11th, 2020, 4:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Did you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and all the way to the right to get the air pockets out of the rack? You might have to do it more than once.
Old September 11th, 2020, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately I did that. Just brought it to shop they said pump was bad coincidentally after rack replaced I figured how could it be bad if it was still slinging fluid? Thanks for trying
Old September 12th, 2020, 6:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steering work requires a certain procedure to bleed the circuit. I attached a copy belowPower Steering System Bleeding (official GM procedure)
Important:

-Use clean, new P/N 89021186 power steering fluid type only.
-Hoses touching the frame, body or engine may cause system noise. Verify that the hoses do not touch any other part of the vehicle.
-Loose connections may not leak, but could allow air into the steering system. Verify that all hose connections are tight.
-Important: Power steering fluid level must be maintained throughout bleed procedure.

- Fill pump reservoir with fluid to minimum system level, FULL COLD level, or middle of hash mark on cap stick fluid level indicator.
Important: With hydro-boost only, the oil level will appear falsely high if the hydro-boost accumulator is not fully charged. Do not apply the brake pedal with the engine OFF. This will discharge the hydro-boost accumulator.

If equipped with hydro-boost, fully charge the hydro-boost accumulator using the following procedure:
2.1. Start the engine.
2.2. Firmly apply the brake pedal 10–15 times.
2.3. Turn the engine OFF.

-Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
-Key on engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.
Vehicles equipped with hydro-boost systems or longer length power steering hoses may require turns up to 15 to 20 stop to stops.

-Verify power steering fluid level per operating specification. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid.
-Start the engine. Rotate steering wheel from left to right. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).
-Verify the fluid level. Repeat the bleed procedure, if necessary.

Power Steering Flush per tech2 GM technician

-Remove the return line to the reservoir and direct to a waste container,

-Plug the return line port at the reservoir.

-Fill the reservoir, start the engine briefly 2seconds so you don't pump the reservoir dry. -Turn the steering wheel stop to stop when OFF to move the fluid out of the rack.

-Refill and repeat.

Old March 4th, 2021, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Papa Bear, I just changed my PS Pump on a 05 silverado. Thought i tightened everything correctly but its leaking out after approx 4 days. i replaced the 2 small o rings for the hp hose and return hose but is there a larger one ( about round as a nickle) that goes some where? Had it left over after i replaced the pump and hp hose.
Any advice is surely helpful