Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Problem with Driver Side Sliding Door

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2011, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problem with Driver Side Sliding Door

I have a 2007 Uplander LT. I bought it brand new Jan 2007. In April 2007, my passenger side sliding door began messing up. It was taken to the dealership 6 times total, the 5th time it was taken with the door open, because it would not close. By that point, GM was involved and recommended complete replacement of the mechanical portion of the door. This was done by the dealership or so everyone thought. It began messing up again and I took it in for the last time and it was detemined the technician only replaced portion of the parts. It was finally fixed that last time and I got one year free oil change and tire rotation. I did not mention some of the problems experienced. Walking out during a visit to Walmart or the mall and the door would be open. The door would open while driving. The door refuse to close both manually or electrically. Several times my grandkids were the vehicle when this occurred.

The story does not end. In April 2010, my Driver side sliding door started messing up. It has been taken in to a different dealership 8 times, even though they officially say it is 6 times. I get the same response each time, they cannot reproduce. GM has now got involved twice and at this point has also been no help to find the root cause. This time around, the door unlatches itself both when sitting and while driving. It never opens like the passenger door did. The alarm that goes off when a door is open when you have the key in the ignition and the vehicle started, sounds and there is no indication on the display that a door is open. The door will sometimes not open via remote, overhead or the side button. Most of the time it has to be opened manually. The door has to be forced closed a lot. The door will also, in the middle of closing, open back up and then go into alarm. Two of the times the van was taken in, the service rep experienced the quirks of the door. Once it was back to where the service tech can look at it, it would not reproduce a problem. No error codes have ever been shown on readouts. In my opinion GM refuses to acknowledge the safety issue with the sliding doors and the dealerships do not want to put in the time to trackdowna phantom problem that no one seems to know how to fix. I have had no problems with the Uplander other than the doors. I will NEVER buy another GM product based on the customer service response I have gotten the past 4 years. Thought I would tell my story.
Old February 15th, 2011, 6:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Based on the customer and what I am reading, this is a real sad story of a GM customer who has not received proper service from GM and its representatives.

Apparently the service techs working on this van did not find the problem and may have made the situation worse.

There are many documented instances of power door not working properly on GM vans. You would think that GM would know how to diagnose and fix the problems that exits with these doors.

Based on GM's new Business Model developed since the bankruptcy; to one, support the customer, two support the product and three build a reliable product that the customer wants, top people in GM customer relations should be made aware of any customer dissatisfaction with customer service.

Hopefully one of the GM service people who occasionally see this forum will read and comment on this person's problem.

I would also suggest and encourage this person, "okleman" to continue the dialogue with GM Customer Relations with the intention of properly fixing the problem. I know it is frustrating... but keep up the good fight. It is the only way that GM is going to change.
Old February 17th, 2011, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

ice777, thanks for posting. I have continued dialogue with a GM District Customer Service Rep and with the last conversation, she informed me the Customer Service Manager at the dealer I take it to, ensured her the next time I bring it in, they will work to find out what is wrong. I have doubts since the same Manager knew about this back in September and did not show up to an appointment made.
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

okieman, I'm going to direct message you for some more information on this issue. Thank your for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old February 25th, 2011, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have had the same issue once.. All i had to do is adjust the striker. Make sure the electrical contacts are clean by using a pencil eraser.. If those dont work you can try and adjust the Door completly but is very complicated and would consider using two people..
Old February 26th, 2011, 7:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

okieman, please post your experiences with this repair. Let us know what GM did to remedy the fault. Many of us have similar problems and anything that you learn through this could help many more members.
You had your van to the dealer repeatedly and now that "Chevrolet Customer Service" is involved it will be interesting and informative to see how this gets resolved. Thanks.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy For all that Responded

Again thanks for the posts. For Jeff Morris and your post, I am working with Kelly. The dealership has never been able to duplicate, the contacts have been cleaned, supposedly the wiring has been checked, they have supposedly coordinated with GM Tech Support. They say they cannot find out what is wrong until it does it while they have it. The odds of that based on experience is 1 in 30 and that is optimistic. There is no common trigger to when the door starts messing up. Since my last conversation with Kelly, I have now taken upon myself to leave a code scanner plugged-in all the time. Has I have noted at no time the computer has ever identified a malfunction in the door, which leads me to believe that there is a computer malfunction and not receiving the door error codes or the door codes are not programmed. Just an opinion. Since I last took the vehicle in, it has not messed up, which is not unusual, time wise.

For Jasonchallis' post, the contacts have been cleaned several times, the door has been adjusted, the door codes supposedly re-programmed and the weather stripping around the door replaced, to no avail. At least I can say with this door it has so far noyt opened on its own while driving or while parked like my passenger side door did. It took GM to completedly replace the internal door parts to finally fix it.

For Papa Bear I will continue to post my issues with the door as long as I keep it. My main concern is the fact that when I trade my vehicle in that I will not get what it should be worth because of the door problem.

Again Thanks to all for responding.