Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

problem with HomeLink

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with HomeLink

So I went out to program my homelink this evening, and can't get it to work. I followed the instructions from the manual, but noticed that I have no blinking homelink LED. When I press any of the buttons, it does not light up, also nothing when I hold both the outside buttons per the instructions. I tried it with the car on, off, and in ACC, no lights. I checked the fuse panel on the passenger side of the dash, and all fuses are OK. My onStar works, as do my overhead lights and all other powered accessories in that overhead console.

All I can think of is maybe its not plugged in inside the overhead panel? Anyone know how to remove that overhead console with the onStar buttons and homelink buttons in it? Let me know, thanks!
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

I got the console out, had to pull the lense for the lights and remove 2 torx screws, then pull down and the console popped out of the ceiling. Discovered the OnStar microphone was unplugged, but everything else was hooked up. I guess my question is, should pressing the buttons illuminate the little house LED, even without the key? I seem to recall it did in my old Terazza. Maybe the module went bad or something? Heck, I had to replace a power door lock button today that just decided to fail to unlock but would happily lock the doors. Just gotta work out these few little glitches.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Still trying to figure this out, can someone press their home link button with car off and key out of ignition and let me know if the led blinks by the buttons?

I also noticed the radio stops working (no sound) when switching presets. If I quickly turn it off and back on after switching presets it works again. The strange thing is AM always works, and manual tuning away from the defective preset works fine until I come across the next programmed preset then audio goes out again. I pulled the radio fuse to try and clear it but no change. I'm wondering if the two problems are somehow related?

I saw someone mention frayed wires under the carpet by the drivers door, anyone had similar problems related to that? Everything else works fine maybe it's just a bad radio and home link module. Can these radios be swapped without having the dealer get involved?

Appreciate your insight, thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

are you putting the garage door opener in the correct mode to sync with the van? if you opener has a rolling code you must do this.

What brand is the garage door opener?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

the homelink won't go into the learning mode, it does not light up. When I press any of the three buttons, the little LED does not blink like it should. Its like there is no power to the module? I'm beginning to now wonder if I have a BCM problem. Between the homelink, the radio, and now come to find out my headlights run all the time because the car thinks its dark out. This is probably why my dash lights were burned out, they were on all the time! I can click the switch counter clockwise to turn off the auto lights (and then acknowledge the "headlights reccomended" warning in the cluster).

Everything else works fine though, onStar, keyless entry, remote start, power doors, cruise control, etc. What are the odds the radio and homeLink are bad, along with the photoCell in the dash?

I'm now wondering if maybe the photocell got punched down in the dash, should it be flush because mine is down in a hole next to the security light.....
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

the gdo has no connection to the bcm. check for power and grd to the gdo unit.

this site may have some info www.learcar2u.com

does your vehicle have a valet switch? It must be off for the gdo to work.

key on, if you press and hold the 2 outside buttons for 30 seconds do the leds flash?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

what is the GDO, is that the photo cell or the home link module? I don't believe these vans have a valet switch stock do they? My remote start works, as do my power door locks and keyless entry.

With the key on, if I hold the two outside buttons, I get no light on the homelink panel in the ceiling. Shouldn't the light flash momentarily every time a button is pressed, whether or not its programmed? I'm assuming there should be power to the module at all times, even with key off so it can be used to open the garage door without the key in the ignition?
Old October 3rd, 2012, 5:49 AM
Super Moderator

some have valet switch some don't...year of van is?

the garage door opener (gdo) has nothing to do with the door locks or keyless entry functions

if the fuse is ok, check the power and grd wire to the gdo. if yiiou have power and ground to the unit and the leds don't light; its probably fubar
Old October 3rd, 2012, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

The van is an 07. It looked like there were 3 wires going to the plug on the homelink module, should it have power with the key and car off? As far as the radio goes, I think its just bad and will have to source an OEM replacement, then have the dealer program it. I need another key FOB anyways, might as well get that all taken care of at once.

Now about the photo Cell light sensor in the dash, is it possible maybe the light switch is bad, not the sensor? I would think if the sensor went out, it would NOT turn on the headlights as the default behavior is DRLs only. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but should the dash cluster be lit up all the time when the van is running? I'm thinking not, as only the DRLs should be on, and the dash won't light up till the headlights are manually (or automatically) turned on.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed!.....Mostly

Got it fixed tonight! Dropped the ceiling console again and grabbed my meter. I had 12 volts at the connector, so I panicked, thinking the module was bad, and its $300 new, or I'd have to dig one up at the junk yard. I unscrewed it to have a look at it and see if it was somehow physically damaged when I noticed the power cord is capable of plugging in both right side up and up side down, but only locks in one way (which is not how it was plugged in). I reversed the plug, and voila! I had power to it and it lights up. I was able to program both my garage doors to it and it works great.

Now for the photocell. I turned on a small flashlight and set it pointing down at the cell on the dash, and then started the car. NO HEADLIGHTS! I removed the flashlight, and started the car and the headlights turned on. It was just pas 6pm, so not exactly dark, but I think the photocell gets too much shadow because of how deep in the hole its in inside the dash. Probably not much I can do about that, but shouldn't it be flush, like the security LED right next to it?

Now for the radio, I played around with it a little, and noticed it only starts acting up when it been on for a minute or two. When its "cold", it works great, but after a minute of use, it begins to slow down, and then just stop working unless you turn it off and on, OR press the MUTE button to get audio back when switching channels. This leads me to believe there may be a heat issue, possibly a bad capacitor within the head unit.

Anyone taken one of these apart? Will the car work/chime without the radio, can it be driven that way? Also, is it possible to reach up to the photo cell from the inside of the dash after I pull the radio? Maybe I could push the photo cell up.....

Quick Reply: problem with HomeLink