Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Rear Park assist not working

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2015, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Park assist not working

Hi everyone,
I'm a new owner of a beautiful 2009 Chevrolet Uplander LT EXT, loaded with everything including rear Park assist. The previous owner accidentally smashed the rear bumper in the left most corner. I have a new bumper now, but my mechanic reinstalled all the old sensors since they looked okay. I'm assuming maybe one of the sensors need to be changed because of that bumper mishap, since the only thing my urpa is doing is flashing a single red led when in reverse. Does anyone know where the diagnostic port is located for the urpa systen, and how I would go about shorting the wire to see the code? I read on a site that your can short a wire and certain lights will flash to let you know what is wrong. I just don't know where that "bosch" /Park assist box or wire is located. What do you guys think might be wrong with the system?
Old September 29th, 2015, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Hi truck33, I am in the same spot with a 08 Uplander, was hit in the rear and backup sensors are inop. I have not found them for sale anywhere. Dealer says 1 hour shop time to diagnose with $250 per sensor. Not good news so far. I've heard if one is broken that will void the whole system. Many other back up sensors sell for $8. Fran
Old October 16th, 2015, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fmgag365
Hi truck33, I am in the same spot with a 08 Uplander, was hit in the rear and backup sensors are inop. I have not found them for sale anywhere. Dealer says 1 hour shop time to diagnose with $250 per sensor. Not good news so far. I've heard if one is broken that will void the whole system. Many other back up sensors sell for $8. Fran
I was planning to get my go-to car mechanic to fix it, but I'm wondering if they are even able to order a part like that (a bumper sensor). Many times I see my mechanic get orders from NAPA, but I'm wondering with a part like that if it is even possible to get that part that is not from the dealer. I know my mechanic scanned the computer with an advanced obd2 reader, but nothing showed up. I know this system is separate from the rest of the car so I think that's why nothing showed malfunctioning on the obd2 scanner. My mechanic even thought the system was aftermarket.. which shows me that I'm not sure if small autoshops even have experience dealing with something like this. This makes me think that maybe the dealer is the only place to go to to have this fixed. I'm not sure since I don't want to spend much, but if I have no options I'm going to have to see the dealer.
Old October 16th, 2015, 11:07 PM
CF Active Member

'05 Venture so not sure how much is different but...

Yes the system is separate, OBDII will not tell you anything!

These have been around long enough I can guarantee it is not a dealer only part. A quick web search...probably $10-20. The clips that hold them in however may be dealer only.

@truck33, this is fmgag365's thread you should check out.
Old October 20th, 2015, 8:30 PM
CF Active Member

i have the same van and was experiencing the same issue with my park assit.i bought the van used.i removed the rear bumber and removed the wiring harness and checked all the resistance in the wiring harness with a digital ohm meter.
everything checked out except for one wire in the harness.i took some of the factory tape off of the harness and low behold there was a cut wire.the van had been hit in the rear and i,m assuming where the cut was in the wire is where it had been impacted.
i repaired the wire and put the bumper back on ,now it works like new.hope this helps.