Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Remote start disabled TCC? No problems before!

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2019, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start disabled TCC? No problems before!

I have an 05 chevy uplander. I discovered I have a factory installed remote starter. I could get it to work due to active engine code. I cleared the code wed. morning and it remote started right up. So my test to see if it even works was a success. I turned the van off from inside the vehicle, as I started it from inside. Then, I started it from inside and began driving to work. Within 15 minutes I was in limp mode (I think). Could go over 45 kept slowing down, when accelerating rpms would jump and not exchange power.

New code came up. P0741 tcc stuck off. Ok, so I rebuilt my transmission 4 months ago. First timer. Studied for months, got to rebuild books and dvd. It has driven smoothly for 3.5 months. Because I never had problems before I thought it is surely something to do with the remote starter system.

Issues I noticed before the wed. occurance:
On 12.23.18 I had the following codes as scanned on my OBD-II scanner (These have been occurring since November)
1. P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency - (showing three times) It was stored and pending
2. P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected - (showing three times) It was stored and pending
3. P0856 Traction Control Torque Request circuit - (shown once)
4. P1689 Delivered Torque Circuit Fault - (shown once)

Test done since Wed.
1. Drove it to AAMCO
2. They said they didn't scan it but drove it in parking lot and didn't get out as it wasn't working properly. Said it needs a rebuild and new TCC, and likely some solenoids.
3. Drove it home at very low speed and low acceleration.
4. Tested all under hood fuses (not relays). The AC/DC converter was blown. I replaced it and still having transmission problem. (I know it is not in the Trans circuit in any way.)
5. Scanned with OBD-II - it only worked down to 31 codes as I had cleared the memory. so I cannot drive it a full cycle to purge out the unrelated codes.

Random thoughts -
1. After I replaced the transmission, the car would start inconsistently and die at random because I hadn't tightened the ground cable for the Ignition control Module down all of the way. This happened approximately 6-8 times. We tried starting it a ton though during this time. Once I figured it out, I tightened the nut and it had no additional problems with that. However, I first did a trouble shoot no the fuel system and eneded up replacing the fuel pump since I thought that was the problem. When jacking the tank back up to bolt the straps on, I over jacked it and I heard some plastic cracking on top of tank. It might have been a wire harness or the purge box. I think that's why the emissions codes were coming up. The other more likely culprit is I put too much gas into the system and ended up flooding the cat converter when I started it. That's likely why the low efficiency code came on after the ignition control module nut mystery was solved.

2. AAMCO could be right - the TCC system could have failed somehow mysteriously the same day/instance I used the remote starter. (I find it hard to believe the coincidence though.)

My blind spots and lack of knowledge.
1. Could the P0856 Traction Control Torque Request circuit & P1689 Delivered Torque Circuit Fault been warning signs of the oncoming doom and I missed it?
2. The P0174 code is a Type B DTC (Emissions related) What does that mean 'emissions related'? Could my poor cat performance cause my ECM to command my TCC or solenoids to be disabled?

thanks for your thoughts and help all!

Last edited by Sacred822; January 7th, 2019 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Added info
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my freeze frame data from the 12.23.18. I believe I was parked. I don't recall if it was warmed up yet though.