Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Replaced Transmission, Now Brakes Aren't Working

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2018, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Transmission, Now Brakes Aren't Working

First, this is about the sister to the Uplander, the Buick Terraza, but I figured I'd ask here since they share parts and I'm really needing to find an answer.

I took our 2005 Terraza in to a local shop, one I trust and has done work for us a lot in the past, to have the transmission replaced. They installed another transmission and when I picked the vehicle up the brakes felt like they had air in the lines (apply brakes, pedal sinks to the floor and traction control / stability control lights and error messages come up). Took it back in and they bled the brake system, but were confused as they never opened the brake system in the transmission change process, they simply tied the calipers up out of the way while working. After they bled the brakes it is still doing the same thing. Replaced the master cylinder, same thing. They took it to another shop, actually the other shop I have do stuff for it, he kept it for a couple days bled the brakes again including doing a full ABS bleed and the brakes are still the same. They have it back now looking to try to figure out what is going on with it but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. The owner of the shop, not a mechanic himself, said he'd talk with his guys and the guy at the other shop and see what they thought and if possibly ABS pump might be the problem. Any other ideas or things we might be missing?
Old April 19th, 2018, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

since you have error messages, i think there should be codes in the vehicle computer. I was thinking a master cylinder problem, but you already changed it. Have you gotten it scanned?
Old April 19th, 2018, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Yes they have scanned it and as far as I know there haven't been any codes. The error message it has shown is when the pedal hits the floor it just shows the service stability control and traction control messages on the dash. I had asked if it was possible a wiring harness or something was knocked loose and he said he didn't believe so because if it did it would show an error code on the computer.