Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Squirrels made nest and chewed through wiring under hood of my 05 Uplander

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2018, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squirrels made nest and chewed through wiring under hood of my 05 Uplander

Hi guys I am having trouble finding the correct part and repair method to fix this mess. Squirrels made a nest in my uplander under the hood and in the process chewed through 3 spark plug wires and what I believe is the wires leading to the MAF sensor. Here are pics of the damage. The MAF sensor itself is fine and i can disconnect the connector that plugs into it in the intake. But what is the part i will need to get, an MAF sensor harness? Is there a part number? Can these wires be spliced rather than running a whole new set of wires through the wire tubes (or whatever they are called) to the other side? The plug wires should be no problem to replace it's the MAF wires I am not sure on.

Old November 17th, 2018, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I solved this, if anyone has the same issue, since I could find no info online about this, here is the part i found at a brick and mortar near me it's an MAF Sensor Connector, I also saw these advertised as "pigtail harness" https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHEC759 they were a lot cheaper online but I needed it today, also picked up a set of spark plug wires and some rodent poison to discourage the squirrels, this is the second time they have made a nest in the last 2 weeks. The box came with 5 butt splice connectors so I will just need to strip the good wire ends and use the butt splices to connect to the new MAF connector and crimp them on.

Last edited by danthedan115; November 17th, 2018 at 6:05 PM.
Old November 17th, 2018, 11:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by danthedan115
Well I solved this, if anyone has the same issue, since I could find no info online about this, here is the part i found at a brick and mortar near me it's an MAF Sensor Connector, I also saw these advertised as "pigtail harness" https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHEC759 they were a lot cheaper online but I needed it today, also picked up a set of spark plug wires and some rodent poison to discourage the squirrels, this is the second time they have made a nest in the last 2 weeks. The box came with 5 butt splice connectors so I will just need to strip the good wire ends and use the butt splices to connect to the new MAF connector and crimp them on.
Yeah it should work. As for the rodents, spray some ammonia, or peppermint oil, all around your Uplander engine compartment, if you aren't using it that often. Poison bait would work, but it could also kill a domestic cat too, if it fell on the ground. Most rodents HATE peppermint oil or anything like it. Could also put a trap under the vehicle too. Or get an old cat.who knows how to hunt these critters.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; November 17th, 2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old November 20th, 2018, 11:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A pick-n-pull auto wrecker might be just the ticket