Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Stabilitrak malfunction

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2010 Denali this last weekend. I was returning to SoCal from Idaho on I-15 at the speed limit when the stabilitrack/traction control/check engine lights lit up, and the computer told me to service these items and that engine power has been reduced. I pulled off the highway to figure out what happend. At slow speeds the vehicle ran roughly, shuddered and tugged against the brakes. Not being able to find a mechanic on duty in Malad, Idaho on Saturday afternoon, I was at a loss as to what to do. I made some calls while limping down the shoulder at 30 MPH, and discovered from a mechanic friend that if I were to disconnect the battery temporarily and reconnect, the codes would be cleared and the vehicle would operate normally again. I pulled and tried it. It worked, but for only a couple hundred miles, then it happened again. I repeated the process over and over again (approximately 30 times) throughout the night and into Sunday morning until I arrived in St. George Utah where I found a mechanic who worked on Sundays. The mechanic ran a diagnostic and discovered that there was a fault in the wiring harness or there was a bad stabilitrak sensor. That mechanic did not have the parts available to repair the problem so I drove on to Las Vegas where I left my car with a dealer. I still haven't learned whether they can fix the problem. GM needs to recall this poorly designed system before people get killed. I called GM Customer Service and opened a case file. They are working on it. Will let everyone know if GM does the intelligent thing and recalls this problem.
Old January 8th, 2013, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Here is an update on my 2010 Yukon. The service department replace part of wiring harness and then all of it. This did not resolve the problem. Then the service manager was driving it with the computer hooked up when the problem occured. It was the positioning sensor in the steering wheel that was reading all over the place. It was changed and I have not had a problem since. I have put on about 30000 km since then.
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the information, familyyukon. This is the third day and the dealer still cannot get the problem to re-occur while driving it. I will pass along the info about the faulty positioning sensor on the wheel.
Old January 31st, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

I've owned two Silverado trucks, 2011 and 2013, with both having this problem. After a few trips to the dealership a steering wheel sensor was replaced on the 2011 and the problem stopped however I traded in the truck days later for a 2013. I've owned the 2013 for less than a month now and the same thing is happening on this truck. While it's still under warranty it's the inconvenience of having to deal with this again on a new vehicle. Why would Chevy allow this problem to continue???
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganVince
I've owned two Silverado trucks, 2011 and 2013, with both having this problem. After a few trips to the dealership a steering wheel sensor was replaced on the 2011 and the problem stopped however I traded in the truck days later for a 2013. I've owned the 2013 for less than a month now and the same thing is happening on this truck. While it's still under warranty it's the inconvenience of having to deal with this again on a new vehicle. Why would Chevy allow this problem to continue???
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> MichiganVince,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue again with your vehicle. Have you made an appointment for an inspection on the 2013? Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 2nd, 2013, 4:06 AM
CF Beginner

Your vehicles are not the only make and model GM vehicles to have this problem. The Chevrolet Avalanche, the Cadillac Escalade and others have all had issues with the "Stabilitrak" systems among others. If it has Stabilitrak on it, there is a good chance someone is having issues.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/uplander-31/stabilitrak-malfuncti-n-414/

The steering sensor may be the culprit, it may not but the fact that the problem exists only with vehicles that have the Stabilitrak onboard is a red flag.

GM will not fix this simply because no has died or been severely injured because of it. There was one instance where a Vet lost a patient in the vehicle because their vehicle failed them enroute to the clinic to "save" the animal.

When my '07 Avalanche did its thing I thought the engine was going to be in pieces on the pavement.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 4:09 AM
CF Beginner

If the message is staying on then there is a definite problem, If your saying the engine light is staying on, that is a different problemn than the stabilitrak. The Stabilitrak does not throw a code when it occurs.

If it is the message... disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and reattach... should clear it but if it was staying on there is an obvious problem that needs to be looked at.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 4:17 AM
CF Beginner

Louis, here is the problem...
The dealers have absolutely no clue on how to deal with this. There are no error codes directly related to the stabilitrak when it occurs and any other error codes are not relevant to the system. All the dealers have to help them is the computer diagnostics, GM has to buckle down and asign a team to physically work on this before someone does get hurt instead of waiting for it to happen.

My '07 Avalanche now has 60,000 miles on it. From 53,000 to 58,000 this problem was occuring in my vehicle, if I plug in a OBDII scanner I can probably get it to do it again... In the driveway.

GM will not admit to a problem because they have to much money invested in the Stabilitrak system and they keep pushing it out without doing anything to fix the problem that exists. If I ever buy another vehicle and it happens to be a GM product.. it will not have a Stabilitrak system in it!
Old February 3rd, 2013, 2:59 PM
CF Active Member

just a small question. I anyone has tried to disconnect the 10 amps fuse for ABS inside the hood in case a problem like this happens on the road. I am sure that the fuse for the ABS runs the stabilitrack also. If it runs the stabilitrack you can still run the vehicle without getting stranded. For my part I can live without the ABS and the stabilitrack! I never experienced anay problems with this issue on my Uplander 2009 but with what I read on this forum I am starting to get really scared.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:52 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Was having problems with the stabilitrak off, engine light on, and engine power reduced in my 2009 Suburban Z71. I did do a lot of research with issue. GOD really blessed me to be able to figure the problem my truck was having. I'm not a certified mechanic but I do work on vehicles. I cleaned my throttle body ( be careful of the electronic attachments to air breather tubing. After removing the plastic tubing attachment that connect to the throttle body I found out that the breather plate was stuck (there was a lot of build up in the actual throttle body and plate). Used a couple of lent free shop towels and a very very small amount of dish detergent (diluted) manually opens the throttle body and cleaned the inner throttle body by using my index finger wrapped with a shop towel (using only a Very small amount oater a dish detergent - to ensure no water would actually spill into the throttle body). GOD has blessed and my car has been running good every sense and saved a tremendous amount of money

Quick Reply: Stabilitrak malfunction