Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

start problem

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that my starter ocasoinaly hangs but i believe this is more a computer module problem than a starter problem.

I just replaced my 136.5K engine in my 06 uplander. the new had my old starter and during no spark turnover, to prime the oil pump, the starter will stay on for a few seconds on occasion especiallly when i just bumped the key.
Old February 4th, 2012, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tankrat
I have found that my starter occasionally hangs but i believe this is more a computer module problem than a starter problem.

I just replaced my 136.5K engine in my 06 uplander. the new had my old starter and during no spark turnover, to prime the oil pump, the starter will stay on for a few seconds on occasion especially when i just bumped the key.

I'm glad you mention this . I have pulled the starter and inspected it as well as having it checked out and it seem to be in like new condition, visually and shows no issue on the tester. Also the teeth all look good on the flywheel. I marked one tooth and rotated it until it came back around.
When I bought the van,I received all the previous maintenance records for it, on one of them I can see where it said Strter replaced at 45k.
I would guess that they Misspelled starter. I Don't drive this van much putting only 14k in two years. I'm now more concerned about the stupid door warning for the drivers side slider. I 'll have to do a search and see what I can find on that!
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

I don't know if you have found a cure for your problem yet but my van (also an 06) does the same thing.

I found the TB gets a bit of carbon built up inside it and doesn't allow the engine to start. The starter sticking is the PCM telling the starter to stay on a bit longer (I suppose). I bought some Throttle Body cleaner (Sea Foam Deep Creep) and cleaned the hell out of the Throttle body. So far the issue hasn't resurfaced, it is however, been less than 24 hours. With my van I would get the problem 4 out of 10 times I tried to start it..

Crossing my fingers...
Old April 26th, 2012, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle
I don't know if you have found a cure for your problem yet but my van (also an 06) does the same thing.

I found the TB gets a bit of carbon built up inside it and doesn't allow the engine to start. The starter sticking is the PCM telling the starter to stay on a bit longer (I suppose). I bought some Throttle Body cleaner (Sea Foam Deep Creep) and cleaned the hell out of the Throttle body. So far the issue hasn't resurfaced, it is however, been less than 24 hours. With my van I would get the problem 4 out of 10 times I tried to start it..

Crossing my fingers...
Great! Let me know how it turns out,I'mstill dealing with this issue.
How about your sliding door warning? Have you had any issues with it.
Mine at time the warning chime stays on,Very annoying.