Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Towing another vehicle

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing another vehicle

Please forgive my ignorance, my education is in business and I know my limitations...

I am PCSing from Pensacola Fl to Mechanicsburg Pa in a few weeks. Rather than my husband and I driving two seperate cars 1200 miles, i'd like to tow his behind the uplander. Is this safe?? I don't want to endanger my family or hurt my Uplander.

My Uplander is a 2006 Uplander LS 3.5L V6 engine Automatic transmission
My other POV is a 2006 Volkswagon Passat 2.0 Turbo. Edmunds has the curb weight as 3305lbs. (2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition Sedan 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual Features and Specs)

I was reading the specs and saw up to 3500 lbs, but also saw the **When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades. warning.

Any feedback/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2012, 3:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd check with U-Haul and see about renting one of those trailers that you park the front wheels of the Passat on... I don't know what you call it.

Does your Uplander have a hitch receiver on it?
Old May 21st, 2012, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

before you even get to the vehicle; what your hitch and receiver rated at? It should say right on the hitch.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have a hitch YET... I was going to make sure that it's safe before I put the $$ into a hitch. My intent was to do just as Papa Bear suggestted and tow it half up, half down. My understanding is that different hitches have different capacity as well; but the capacity of your vehicle is vital too.
I'm going to check with Uhaul too, but some of those folks are in it for the $$.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a good fitting Class 3 hitch for about $100 from J.C. Whitney. Easy to install.
Good luck.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 4:59 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks!

So if I get the right hitch, should I then be able to tow the Passat?
I was thinking half up as Papa Bear suggested.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 1:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Just remember...towing capacity is including passengers, luggage, etc...
You will also pay extra axle fees at the tolls.
biggest Potential problems;
Overheating the brakes
Overheating the transmission
Overheating the engine

I would look into having a shop install an external transmission cooler(which can always be removed later) and making sure the brakes are not close to needing replacement. Low pads have less cooling capacity then pads with plenty of stopping surface and if you overheat the brakes, it can lead to costly repairs later.
If the uplander does start getting too hot, do NOT shut it off......turn the heat on high and open the windows while pulling to the side of the road. Unless something is leaking, it will cool down. NEVER open the radiator cap when the engine is hot.
Carry an extra gallon of coolant mix just in case.

Just keep it under 50mph and all should be good.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

You will definately want a trans cooler.
Old May 27th, 2012, 7:19 AM
CF Active Member

If your trip is all level terrain you should be okay as long as your Uplander is equipped with transmission cooler etc. If not I would stay away from it specially on the hills. I have a 2009 Uplander all equipped for trailering and I pull a 1809s minilite trailer with no problems at all but my trailering is almost all level and my engine ia a 3.9 liters. Make sure that you buy a good brake controller for your van I supposed that you will use a trailer dolly to bring your Passat. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Towing another vehicle-dsc05954.jpg  
Old May 28th, 2012, 6:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the owners manual states the max trailer weight (loaded trailer weight) is 3500lbs. That is if you have the v92 trailer package from the factory. If you don't have the v92 rpo code option, the towing capacity is 2000lbs.

The passat weights 3300lbs. That leaves 200lbs for the weight of the trailer with v92. Most tow dolleys probably weight 700 to 1000lbs.

It is over the rated tow weight even if you have the tow package.

Its a long trip and alot of stress on your engine, trans not to mention that your probably pulling more weight than what the van weights (4000lbs).

Last edited by tech2; May 28th, 2012 at 6:30 PM.