Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

weird overheating

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2018, 8:27 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird overheating

we have an 05 uplander with 267,000 kms appx
the vehicle overheats at idle and at anything under 2000 rpm as soon as we bring it up to about 2500-3000 rpm it starts to cool the fan seems to be operating normally the waterpump and tstat have been replaced have not done a rad flush ...the heater core was leaking so it has been bypassed for now I should note the issue started before the waterpump,tstat replacement and heatercore bypass any insights will be greatly appreciated
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have the system vacuum filled....manual filling leaves air trapped in the cooling system. the higher engine rpm moves a greater volume of coolant thru the system.
make sure the rad fins are not obstructed creating poor airflow thru the rad. all fan shrouds should be in place.
make sure the system can pressurize. a leaking surge tank cap will lower the boiling point of the coolant causing it to overheat a normal operating temperatures.
Old September 15th, 2018, 8:37 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodliquidice
we have an 05 uplander with 267,000 kms appx
the vehicle overheats at idle and at anything under 2000 rpm as soon as we bring it up to about 2500-3000 rpm it starts to cool the fan seems to be operating normally the waterpump and tstat have been replaced have not done a rad flush ...the heater core was leaking so it has been bypassed for now I should note the issue started before the waterpump,tstat replacement and heatercore bypass any insights will be greatly appreciated
the vehicle is moving at the stated rpms, correct? if so, it is being cooled by air passing thru the radiator.
on a 2007 the fan circuits are in series on low and in parallel on high. i assume your 05 is the same. if so, both fans should turn simultaneously on low and high. one bad fan will disable both fans on low due to the series circuit... unless you rewire it, as i did on mine. my 07 clicks the fans onto low speed when the temp gauge hits the first hash right of the center on the temp gauge.

Old September 15th, 2018, 8:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
have the system vacuum filled....manual filling leaves air trapped in the cooling system. the higher engine rpm moves a greater volume of coolant thru the system.
make sure the rad fins are not obstructed creating poor airflow thru the rad. all fan shrouds should be in place.
make sure the system can pressurize. a leaking surge tank cap will lower the boiling point of the coolant causing it to overheat a normal operating temperatures.
i read some early uplanders have bleeders... but vac fill is probably ideal. i have a no spill funnel for my 2007 3.9L.. i believe the no spill funnel is not letting air in but i guess i cant be sure since the temp gauge is raising at idle and relying on the fan to keep temps in check...