Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

When To Switch To Synthetic ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2008, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When To Switch To Synthetic ? ? ?

I am a firm believer in synthetic oil and have used it in previous vehicles.
The readout on my dash on the new van says I have 65% of safe oil life left before changing. I now have approx 4000 km on the vehicle.
My monthly email diagnostic report that checks my vehicle out via satellite and checks every thing on my vehicle right down to the tire pressure in every tire, says that according to my driving conditions and habits my oil life expectancy is to 10,100 km at which time I should change it.
Some say that synthetic should not be put in until at least 25000 km because it is such a superior lubrication over conventional oil that the rings will never seat if changed too early .
Others say that is old hat and with the new modern engines, synthetic can be used at a much lower mileage.
The dealer says it doesn't make much difference one way or the other as to how many miles should be on it and I was not satisfied with that response. .

So my question is ? ? ? ?
How many here have switched to synthetic on the first oil change and was it from good authority that prompted you to do so .

Or should I wait until at least the second oil change ?

W.Y.

Old December 24th, 2008, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: When To Switch To Synthetic ? ? ?

ORIGINAL: WilliamYoung

I am a firm believer in synthetic oil and have used it in previous vehicles.
The readout on my dash on the new van says I have 65% of safe oil life left before changing. I now have approx 4000 km on the vehicle.
My monthly email diagnostic report that checks my vehicle out via satellite and checks every thing on my vehicle right down to the tire pressure in every tire, says that according to my driving conditions and habits my oil life expectancy is to 10,100 km at which time I should change it.
Some say that synthetic should not be put in until at least 25000 km because it is such a superior lubrication over conventional oil that the rings will never seat if changed too early .
Others say that is old hat and with the new modern engines, synthetic can be used at a much lower mileage.
The dealer says it doesn't make much difference one way or the other as to how many miles should be on it and I was not satisfied with that response. .

So my question is ? ? ? ?
How many here have switched to synthetic on the first oil change and was it from good authority that prompted you to do so .

Or should I wait until at least the second oil change ?

W.Y.

You can research your question on www.bobistheoilguy.com. I have done the same and founddifferent opinions on that site too. Most people switched at 5000 km.

I asked my dealer the same question and they told me to wait until the 1st oil change.

Well, I could not wait for the light to come on because the factory oil darkened quite quicklyand also burned/dropped a bitso I changed out my oil at 2000 km and filled it with Castrol GTX.

The van is now at 4200 km andhasstopped burning oil so I think the break-in is very much completed. My driving is 90% city and I projected the oil life light will be on around 6000 km. To be honest, I think 10,000 km may be a little long OCIfor conventional oil.

Sometime in January andat 5000 km, I will switch to Pennzoil Platinum Synth, regardless of the oil life.I realy want to feel how the van starts in cold winter with Syntheticoil.

Most synth oils on the market today are petroleum based as with the conventional oil so I think we will be safe.
Old December 24th, 2008, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Ah . . Yes , Bobistheoilguy.
I belonged to that site eons ago and had forgotten about it . Had to look up my log on info and sure enough I am still a member there.

Like you I don't believe in the 10000 km before changing oil like the computer recommends either . It just seems too long to me. I never had a vehicle before that told me when to chage oil . I always changed it around 5000 km whether it needed it or not.. Oil is a lot cheaper than repairs .
I have always changed my oil and filter myself and will continue to do .

Old December 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a member at BITOG as well.....
I follow the OLM as I trust that if GM will warranty the van for 160,000KM, they must have done their homework on it. Why would I do otherwise ... because it doesn't "seem" right ??
Ran the original fill to about 8% and did the second fill (that I am on now) with PP (Pennzoil Platinum) syn 5W-30 grade as GM recommends. I'll change at close to 0%.
I plan on keeping the vehicle for many years so I'll keep posting on how it is performing on syn. oil.

Happy Holidays to all !!

P.B.