Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Would you get an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2009, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you get an extended warranty?

Considering purchasing a used 08 LS Uplander with 21K miles. Trying to decide if I should purchase an extended warranty. What are your thoughts?
Old January 8th, 2009, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Would you get an extended warranty?

Some add'l info.

It was a rental vehicle in the past. My concern arises from the brakes/rotors/power sliding door issues that I have read about. It is my understanding that the brake/rotors issue has been addressed in the 07+ models, and being a LS model the sliding doors are not powered, so that is not a concern.

I plan to keep the vehicle for at least 4 more years, 50K miles. Also does anyone know if the GMPP Major Guard operates similar tothe original factory warranty as far as what is covered? Is it pretty much BTB?

Thanks for any advice.
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I (and Consumer Report) say "no", save your money. Just follow the recommended service procedures in the owner's manual.

I did not purchase an extended warranty with my '07 LS.

That's my $0.02 Canadian
Old January 8th, 2009, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 2006 this past July. There was a noise coming frmo the rear end (it had AWD) and a noise in the steering column. I ended up getting a Toyota Gold warranty on it for about $1200. I know it sounds funny getting a toyota warranty for a chevy, but thats where I purchased it. The warranty saved me $400 in steering wheel repairs and $4000 in getting and installing a new rear end and other things pertaining to the Stabilitrack AWD. So it just depends I would make sure if you hear any creaks, groans, or any other noise to check with a mechanic and see what the worst case scenario would be.

Blake
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

I purchased a used 2008 LS yesterday.

All the really low mileage units were gone when I got ready to buy, but I had looked at them.

The unit I bought has 37k miles, but for some reason shows much less wear then some of the lower mileage units with as little as 14k. A few faint stains on the seats and really no other flaw that I can find.

The tires are the Goodyear Integras, not sure if original or not. The fronts will need replacement probably within 5,000 miles. The brake rotors look great, which wasn't the case on all of them.

All of these were Enterprise rental cars which were purchased by this dealer at auction.

I ran CarFax on several of them and none showed anything unusual.

I have not purchased an extended warranty and have no complaints so far. In fact, we really like the vehicle and everything seems to work. Haven't noticed any unusual noises, in fact it is by far the quietest vehicle I have owned.

So glad it doesn't have power sliding doors I sure don't need that headache.

We paid $9990 plus state fees. Some of the lower mileage units went for as much as $12,999 (possibly more a few months ago). The user car dealer is going to close up shop due to the general recession and showed me his auction paperwork. He paid $9750.

I notice very few posts here about '07-08s. Is that because so many of the problems have been solved (I hope)?
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Also wanted to mention the computer showed 21 average mpg at the time I picked it up, and has gone up a few tenths since then.

One minor irritant is I got only one PK3 key. Am looking at the eBay keys and local locksmith to fix that.

Already had one episode of the horn blowing and lights flashing apparently because I left the key in the ignition and the door open for a long time.

The extended warranty I was offered was $1600 for four years, but I didn't pay much attention.

Last edited by steve86; January 15th, 2009 at 1:45 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

I would. GMPP has now paid for two transmission rebuilds in the last month on my '06 with ~70000 miles.

31.5 hours of labour so far @ $95/hr CDN plus parts

It's back today because it's still not right.