Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Chevy Venture Overheating

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2018, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Venture Overheating

Hello, I'm new to this site. But straight to the point. Can anyone help me?

My 97 Chevy Venture is overheating. Both lower and upper radiator hoses are hot. But only the lower one has coolant. The upper doesn't seem to have much of anything coming out.

The water pump works. Looked in the radiator and saw coolant circulating. I always have to stop and bleed the top hose cause of so much air stuck in. I've tried to bleed it so many times.
Old May 6th, 2018, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Salman Johnson
Hello, I'm new to this site. But straight to the point. Can anyone help me?

My 97 Chevy Venture is overheating. Both lower and upper radiator hoses are hot. But only the lower one has coolant. The upper doesn't seem to have much of anything coming out.

The water pump works. Looked in the radiator and saw coolant circulating. I always have to stop and bleed the top hose cause of so much air stuck in. I've tried to bleed it so many times.
I was curios if you found a fix as my car is doing the same thing.
Old May 6th, 2018, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Check the system for rust ( Radiator cap) build up. If not there check internal heating ( is the heater front and rear working), if not, could be clogged line.
Last I would re- bleed system and finally check thermostat. Could also be radiator heat monitoring probe.
Old September 17th, 2019, 4:06 AM
CF Beginner

Hello guys, sorry it's been awhile. I had a bad head gasket. By bad, I mean the rings around the gasket were bent to all hell. Replaced all of them and the heads and now it's randomly misfiring. But if I give it a little gas, it smooths out. At least as far as I can tell. Currently going to be replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator, beings that the thing looks like it's factory installed.
Old September 17th, 2019, 8:14 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

not sure what type of ignition you have but if its a distributor make sure your firing order is correct. sometimes if you have a crossed wire it will smooth out with higher rpms
Old September 17th, 2019, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
not sure what type of ignition you have but if its a distributor make sure your firing order is correct. sometimes if you have a crossed wire it will smooth out with higher rpms

It's a 3400 sfi LA1 engine. Has a coil pack. I've already tested resistance and spark. Maybe a bad control module? But prior to the headgasket blowing, it ran perfect. I've recently changed spark plugs.

If I run torque on my obd2, would you guys be able to tell me what's wrong? Say for long and short fuel trims? Last I checked it was running rich. Was both in the -30s and up. I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator would be a cause for it running rich?
Old September 22nd, 2019, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Salman Johnson
I had a bad head gasket. By bad, I mean the rings around the gasket were bent to all hell. Replaced all of them and the heads and now it's randomly misfiring.
We had misfires on 2003 Venture after head gasket replacement. Returned it to shop where work was done, they said a plug wire was incorrectly routed and shorting to exhaust manifold. At least that's what I think they said (10 years ago). Anyway, they fixed it quick and free by moving or replacing plug wire.

Last edited by Fried Hog; September 22nd, 2019 at 1:29 PM. Reason: Include relevant quote